12132Re: Critical Reading

  • janahooks
    Apr 6 2:12 PM
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@...> wrote:

      >Nope, I missed that one, Jana, but the two new
      > books I ordered on The Gospel of Judas arrived today, and I
      noticed that
      > the good professor had contributed some commentary to each of
      those as
      > well.

      Hum, it wasn't as long ago as I thought. It's the April issue (they
      *will* always send these things almost a month early). The entire
      article is titled "Faith and Reason" by Michael Ruse. Ehrman's
      piece within it is 'Literalism', if you want to look it up...or I
      could just send you this copy. I'm sure my husband would never miss
      it!! ;)

      > I look forward to getting started on those books, but there will
      still
      > be a critical edition released eventually that will cover all of
      this
      > relatively new find known as Codex Tchacos. Besides the long-
      awaited
      > Gospel of Judas, this codex contained versions of The Letter of
      Peter to
      > Philip and The First Apocalypse of James (both from the NHL),
      along with
      > a previously unknown tractate that they have tentatively titled
      the Book
      > of Allogenes, which I hope won't cause confusion for us down the
      road
      > with the similarly titled work also found in the NHL.

      I look forward to your review. Um, could you tell me how to
      pronounce 'Tchacos' so I don't hear 'Codex Tacos' in my head?

      >I've been weathering some sticks of my own on a tree stump in the
      >backyard for the past year.

      You know, Gerrrryyyy, if you ever finish any of these projects (that
      I have somehow pirated for all of my lesson plans), I'd love to use
      a couple of photos in my classes. No pressure.

      >As for the first-graders' project though, I was wondering
      > how they went about those handprints that Cari referred to?

      Since I used the Lascaux site, I avoided the issue entirely--no
      hands, but therin lies the Shaft of the Dead Man (their favorite)
      who, according to their excellent vision and imaginations, is
      naked. Frying pan into the fire.

      http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/

      The Caves at Lascaux

      http://donsmaps.com/chauvetcave.html

      (Hand) Chauvet Cave

      http://www.patagonia-
      argentina.com/i/andina/moreno/cuevadelasmanos.htm

      (Hands) Argentina

      >If you experienced any problems or toxicity issues with what the
      >kids used, perhaps you could pass along
      > your findings to save me some needless aggravation. ;-)

      I need more info: what surface, what location, how authentic. I use
      terrible paint with students, for legal and health reasons--washable
      tempera. Almost edible, it's so safe. Consequently, it's useless.
      My best advice with whatever you use: Don't inhale. :)

      jana
    • Show all 137 messages in this topic