12131Re: Critical Reading

    Apr 6, 2006

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

      > LOL--I tried to post on Saturday, but our power went out. Can't
      > remember what I said, but it had something to do with feeling your
      > inner caveman at any age. We're painting sticks in 5th grade,
      > Gerry, care to join us?

      In my case, trying to keep that inner caveman in check is a constant struggle!

      Thanks for graduating me to the 5th grade though.  I've been weathering some sticks of my own on a tree stump in the backyard for the past year.  They're from a Bald Cypress growing on my mom's property; I figured they'd make good (waterproof) supports for some Orchid Cacti I've been raising.  I had intended to go with the natural look, but we'll see what the various shapes and sizes out there inspire me to do in the way of decoration.  As for the first-graders' project though, I was wondering how they went about those handprints that Cari referred to?  Did they stick with the old fingerpainting method, or did you have them strive for authenticity by spraying the paint over their hands with their mouths?  I was hoping to resort to the latter, but I'm not sure which paint would work best for that.  If you experienced any problems or toxicity issues with what the kids used, perhaps you could pass along your findings to save me some needless aggravation.  ;-)

      > Still interested, whenever you have the time. Been a little
      > swamped, myself. I forgot to mention this some time ago (last
      > month? I'll go back and look): my husband called my attention to a
      > piece in a certain gentlemen's magazine that everyone seems to
      > read "just for the articles." Your friend, Dr. Erhman, wrote a
      > short article within the piece. I'll see if I can get you the
      > title. That magazine tends to never make it to the recycling bin.
      > Oh, unless you've already read it...;)
      >
      > jana

      *gasp*

      Why on earth would anyone even think of recycling a periodical with one of Ehrman's articles?  Nope, I missed that one, Jana, but the two new books I ordered on The Gospel of Judas arrived today, and I noticed that the good professor had contributed some commentary to each of those as well.

      I look forward to getting started on those books, but there will still be a critical edition released eventually that will cover all of this relatively new find known as Codex Tchacos.  Besides the long-awaited Gospel of Judas, this codex contained versions of The Letter of Peter to Philip and The First Apocalypse of James (both from the NHL), along with a previously unknown tractate that they have tentatively titled the Book of Allogenes, which I hope won't cause confusion for us down the road with the similarly titled work also found in the NHL.

      At any rate, with "Gnostic" subjects increasingly catching the public eye, it's nice to have more light shed on the authentic texts that were valued not only by those ancient communities, but by many of us today.