11924Re: What Is Gnosticism? by Karen King

    Feb 9, 2006

      > [ . . . ]
      >
      > Off the point a little, she has been accused of the kind of feminist
      > political preconceptions that Dr Pagels sometimes is accused of
      > showing. Honestly, as I have become more familiar with her work, I
      > have not seen it at all (though yes I HAVE seen it in Dr Pagels). On
      > the contrary, her critical abilities have seemed more truly open (and
      > critical... even CLASSICAL) than almost any other academic source I
      > have read (and I am not unfamiliar with the genre).

      I'm glad that you and Shoshanna have spoken up here.  Frankly, I have seen why King often gets the rap of "feminist activist," but I'm thinking it's only because I subject myself to more of those productions that are geared toward popular consumption.  From A&E to History Channel, as well as network specials dealing with everything from the life of Christ to the Da Vinci Code, King is one of the talking heads I have often seen speaking about what those early texts actually say.  From conversations you and I have had regarding other "documentaries," I'm fully inclined to believe that he appearance and comments in those programs were somewhat manipulated.  In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that some of those "appearances" were merely the use of what has now become "stock footage" by other producers who wish to appeal to similar popular markets.

      Per your recommendation, I did enjoy King's A Revelation of the Unknowable God, and I noticed that The Secret Revelation to John is out this month.  There doesn't appear to be a transcription of the Coptic text in that latter one, but it will be interesting to see how she handles the translation, given the different sources.  It may prove another good resource.

      More on her later, but I'd really like to track down one of her quotes before I start assembling the various commentaries I have in mind.