11912Re: What Is Gnosticism? by Karen King

    Feb 7, 2006
      Hello pmcvflag

      On 02/08/06, you wrote:

      > Hey Shoshanna, welcome to the conversation.
      > Yes, I have read this book. You didn't mention specifically which
      > books you had read by Dr Pagels, so I don't know the full range of
      > material that you are familiar with. Most of her popular works
      > are... well... for a popular audience, but some are academic in
      > nature as well. Hoeller is writing for a more specific audience, but
      > still generally not an academic one. What I can tell you about this
      > book by Dr King is that it is extremely different in function from
      > the other two authors, in that it is very academic. It is important
      > in that it expresses something about the history that many people
      > are not aware of outside the academic community.
      > I should warn you though, this book is not about the history of
      > Gnosticism, it is about the history of the category "Gnosticism" and
      > how it has been used and abused over time by various people who had
      > agendas with the word.
      > If you are into a heavy read, there is a LOT of good material in the
      > book, including the most recent academic deconstruction of old
      > misunderstandings about what "Gnosticism" is (a continuation of Dr
      > Williams' work "Rethinking Gnosticism", which also may be a slightly
      > easier read). If, on the other hand, you would like a boiled down
      > version I would be happy to write up a quick summery for you here on
      > the forum.
      > PMCV

      Karen King was one of my son's Professors at Occidental College. She
      was fascinated at meeting a 2nd generation neo-gnostic. He got a lot
      out of her classes.

      Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic