11882Re: emic / etic

    Feb 2, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:

      > Hello pmcvflag
      >
      > On 02/01/06, you wrote:
      >
      > > I was thinking of maybe making another lexicon like the one I
      made
      > > of Gnostic (and Platonist) terms, only with these academic terms
      > > that one may come across in books dealing with Gnosticism from an
      > > historical perspective.
      > >
      > > Etic, Emic, Apophatic, Docetic, etc...
      > >
      > > Can anyone think of any other terms that often come up?
      > >
      > > PMCV
      >
      > Encrantism for one, and its opposite, the official name of which
      > eludes me right now. Also the Platonic idea(l) should be defined,
      as
      > it had so much influence on gnosticism.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998_@_lafn._org remove -'s

      Mike, if "encratism" would signify devaluation of or even despising
      bodily pleasures, then perhaps its opposite might be something
      like "libertinism" or even "antinomianism"? I believe PMCV already
      has "antinomianism" in his current lexicon, but not the others. So,
      in addition to defining terms, if there is any interest,
      comparison/contrast with other academic terms might be helpful, too.

      For instance, PMCV, your lexicon has "syncretism." You often like to
      distinguish this term from "eclecticism," which is not on the current
      list. Likewise, "docetism" (on the current list) might be compared
      to "adoptionism."

      Just some ideas.