11648Re: gnosticism and the end of time

    Nov 7, 2005
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Lincoln S." <doubtfull_one@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > In Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth, there is mention
      > that "the
      > > fire that lurks within the world will flare up, catch fire,
      > overcome
      > > all matter, be consumed along with it, and enter into definitive
      > > nonexistence." Bentley Layton notes in his book, _The Gnostic
      > > Scriptures," p. 295:
      > > "f. The idea of a fire that lurks within the world and in due
      > time
      > > will flare up and consume the world was a well-known part of
      > ancient
      > > physics, as taught by the Stoic school. But the belief that the
      > > world will then `enter into definitive nonexistence' is not a
      part
      > of
      > > the Stoic physics."
      > >
      > > Perhaps other members might have additional information.
      > >
      > > Cari
      > >

      > Please, if anyone knows more about the "fire that lurks within the
      > world" and/or the teachings of the Stoic school in this regard I am
      > very interested. Thanks.
      >
      > Lincoln

      Lincoln, I can give you a link explaining a bit more about Stoic
      physics:
      http://www.iep.utm.edu/s/stoicism.htm#H3

      Please keep in mind though that the Stoics were materialists, which
      the Gnostics definitely were *NOT*. The Stoics believed in
      successive cycles of this fiery destruction and recovery, whereas
      Bentley Layton's footnote describes a conflagration of the world into
      NONexistence (according to Irenaeus's summary of Ptolemy's Version of
      the Gnostic Myth).

      I'm curious Lincoln as to the background for your interest in end
      time matters?