11641Re: gnosticism and the end of time

    Nov 1 10:49 AM
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "doubtfull_one"
      <doubtfull_one@y...> wrote:

      > Hello, I was wondering if anyone is aware of any written gnostic
      > texts that discuss in prophecy or otherwise mention the "end of
      time".
      > If so, could you point me in the right direction to do the reading.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Lincoln

      Hello, Lincoln. Historical Gnostics generally were more concerned
      with cosmogony and reunion with the Source than with
      eschatology. "Resurrection" in a spiritual, not literally bodily
      sense would come with Gnosis in this lifetime as passersby on this
      planet.

      In Ptolemy's Version of the Gnostic Myth, there is mention that "the
      fire that lurks within the world will flare up, catch fire, overcome
      all matter, be consumed along with it, and enter into definitive
      nonexistence." Bentley Layton notes in his book, _The Gnostic
      Scriptures," p. 295:
      "f. The idea of a fire that lurks within the world and in due time
      will flare up and consume the world was a well-known part of ancient
      physics, as taught by the Stoic school. But the belief that the
      world will then `enter into definitive nonexistence' is not a part of
      the Stoic physics."

      Perhaps other members might have additional information.