11139Re: Weekly Study Session #2: A Brief Summary of Gnosticism

    Jun 10, 2005
      > This week we'll give those who are unfamiliar with Gnosticism a
      chance
      > to get their feet wet, in addition to giving those who have some
      > acquaintance with the subject a chance to review and/or critique.
      >
      > Stephan A. Hoeller has written "A Brief Summary of Gnosticism":
      > http://www.gnosis.org/gnintro.htm
      >
      > Feel free to make comments on this piece, if you'd like. You can
      also
      > find other complementary introductory articles in our links section:
      >
      > For a little history, see Lance Owens's article:
      > http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlintro.html
      >
      > As always, references to scripture, original source material, are
      > welcome in your comments, if you wish.
      >

      > Cari

      Well, I didn't see any comments coming through for our Weekly Study
      Session #2.

      So, I'll assume that some of you at least have read through some of
      the summary material and have a basic feel for things. One of the
      concepts that probably became apparent is the Gnostic emphasis on
      Gnosis as salvific.

      George is interested in discussing the Cathars – Gnostic or not?

      I'll link the first post of a past thread wherein we discussed this
      back in 2003:

      George, this is an involved topic, requiring some knowledge of the
      Cathars as well as the Gnostics.

      Would you be able to break this topic down a bit more with one or
      more specific references for discussions? David had originally
      suggested "weekly study sessions. to where a reference is read by
      everyone and for the rest of the week is up for open discussion."
      That seems to be a more manageable goal, and I'm thinking we might
      want to offer more specific weekly topics (or a series of weekly
      topics gradually addressing a larger, more general topic) in order to
      garner more interest from members.

      Thanks.