      Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:33 AM
      Subject: Re: [Gnosticism2] Topics

      Hey Nick!

      You offered this as a discussion topic. The conversation so far has gone as follows:

      Nick: I think an interesting idea would be is salvation by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts.'

      Gich: I'd like you to define what you mean by "grace".

      Nick: Using the Gospel of Thomas sayings: Grace =  (62) Jesus said: I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries. Effort = (58) Jesus said, "Blessed is the person who has labored and found life."

      Gich: What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy? ... blessed? found life?

      Nick: I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

      Gich - this post: You suggested discussing whether salvation is by 'Grace' or through one's 'efforts' and you later brought the Gospel of Thomas into the discussion and now say we cannot discuss it?!? This reminds me of Wittgenstein's famous observation: 'a nothing would do as well as a something about which nothing can be said'!

      Gich

      >>> I speak my mysteries to those [who are worthy of my] mysteries <<<

      What does this mean? speak my mysteries? those who are worthy?

      >>> Blessed is the person who has labored and found life <<<

      What does this mean? blessed? found life?

      Gich

      I am sure you obviously grasp the surface meanings but he whole purpose of Thomas in my opinion is that you investigate the deeper meaning of these sayings for yourself, there meant to be puzzled over not handed to one on a plate.

      Nick