10988Re: Pursuit of gnosis (GNOSIS and Salvation)

    Apr 16, 2005
      Hey Gich, sorry it took so long. I got caught up in silly things.

      It looks like Lady Caritas has gotton to your question as well, so
      let me just throw in some backing. Part of the problem is in dealing
      with the way christ is used in different situations. Consider this
      passage...

      "Through the Holy Spirit we are indeed begotten again, but we are
      begotten through Christ in the two. We are anointed through the
      Spirit. When we were begotten, we were united. None can see himself
      either in water or in a mirror without light. Nor again can you see
      in light without mirror or water. For this reason, it is fitting to
      baptize in the two, in the light and the water. Now the light is the
      chrism."

      As you know, "Christ" simply means "anointed". So, who is the christ
      here? This author has just pointed out that become anointed.

      Later passage....

      "Jesus appeared [...] Jordan - the fullness of the Kingdom of
      Heaven. He who was begotten before everything, was begotten anew. He
      who was once anointed, was anointed anew. He who was redeemed, in
      turn redeemed (others)."

      The Christ manifest in Jesus, is anointed in Jesus "anew", and the
      same thing happens to us? In other words, the Christ manifests in
      one with the anointing...

      "The chrism is superior to baptism, for it is from the word "Chrism"
      that we have been called "Christians," certainly not because of the
      word "baptism". And it is because of the chrism that "the Christ"
      has his name. For the Father anointed the Son, and the Son anointed
      the apostles, and the apostles anointed us. He who has been anointed
      possesses everything. He possesses the resurrection, the light, the
      cross, the Holy Spirit."

      Philip does go on to equate Jesus with the "Christ", but you can see
      that this would be obvious. Other cases are a bit different though.

      In Allogenes we see the anointing.... but no Jesus.

      >>>"And the all-glorious One, Youel, anointed me again and she gave
      power to me."<<<

      And here is a point of interest. Jesus is only mentioned off-hand in
      the "Gospel of the Egyptians", as a sort of suit put on by Seth, the
      true savior, but "Christ" is integrated in the text. It possible
      that the Christian element (of Jesus' name) may be a later addition
      (as we know happened to "Eugnostos the Blessed") to the tradition,
      while "Christ" is not likely so.

      > Hey PMCV

      > I thought they were "linked" and you couldn't have one without the
      other.
      > Could you go into this in more detail please. When I write
      about 'the
      > "Christ" event' I'm specifically thing of Jesus; I may have to
      change may
      > terminology and write about 'the "Jesus" event'.
      >
      > Gich
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic