10977Re: Pursuit of gnosis (GNOSIS and Salvation)

    Apr 13, 2005
      Serenity..

      >>>"Namste Gich,
      I think that you are confused. Non Christological Gnosticism, from my
      understanding, is Sethian Gnosticism. It is more Hebraic although,
      some Christological interpretation seems to have peaked in a bit in
      the second century of the common era. Of course the strait Platonic
      Pagans seem to be claiming Gnosticism for themselves as well. They
      seem to be a smaller bunch and keep more to their own "clans.""<<<<

      I am also guessing that Gich may have meant "Sethian" since Jesus is
      sometimes assumed to have been a later addition to Sethian texts.

      However, the figure of "Christ" is not necessarily equated
      with "Jesus" in Gnosticism, so I think the term "Christological"
      could be a bit misleading here. A text neen not have Jesus in it to
      have Christological elements in this case. The figure of the Logos
      is important even if Jesus is not.

      One thing you say...

      >>>"Of course the strait Platonic Pagans seem to be claiming
      Gnosticism for themselves as well."<<<

      Could you expand on that? I was not exactly sure which groups you
      mean to imply there. And to add something, Platonists were not
      generally Christians, but they would have been very angry if you
      called them "Pagans".