10707Re: Manicheanism & Augustine

    Mar 3, 2005
      Hello Tsharpmin7@...

      On 03/03/05, you wrote:

      > hi Mike... you wrote:
      >
      > "What became Christianity would not have happened without Paul and
      > Augustine, not that James version was Christianity, and probably
      > closer to the original version. I come close to hating Augustine
      > like you hate Paul. He brought the worst elements of Manacheanism
      > into Christianity, but went further with Original Sin. You want to
      > blame someone for the real mess that is Christianity, Augustine
      > makes Paul look postitively benign. Who did Calvin go back to?
      > Augustine."

      Basicallly the dark and pessamistic world view, of which original sin
      was his coup de ta (sp?). Negative ideas aout sex is another one.
      True, he twisted Manacheanism, it was not so negative as him,
      recognizing there was the good trapped in the world along with the
      bad. This old world comes of full of sin and evil for Augustine, a
      perversion of Manachean precepts.