10419Re: Baptism

    Jan 12, 2005
      To add to what you say here Mychael, I think ritual can also serve
      as a mnemonic, or to enhance a particular mood (whether it be the
      sense of superiority in the entrance and black robes of a judge at a
      trial, or the act of wearing the little black dress to enhance that
      feeling of sexy confidence.. it has a ritual function.) OUr whole
      lives are filled with rituals we don't even think about, but they do
      effect us.

      However, as Mychael points out the function of ritual in the
      initiatory process is a bit more specific and integral. In fact some
      rituals go so far as to be intended to actually induce the
      change/experience/understanding, not just to enhance a mood or help
      us remember. Gnosticism is an initiatory system, by definition.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, nakedalchemy@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 1/12/2005 12:12:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > In other words, the functions of the rituals is to gain that
      > allegorical meaning and spiritual process of the message rather
      than
      > washing away sins to make amends to some angry Demiurge lest he
      > smite us.
      >

      > yes, the function of ritual is supposedly to aid in awakening and
      be a
      > transitional aspect, marking the transition from one state to
      another, of
      > awareness. When we dont get the message it implies ritually, we
      are merely faking it
      > for whatever reasons...to be included, to not be left out, to let
      others
      > think we are what we are not..it comes back to haunt eventually.
      > it is a cleansing,but not of sins etc, of old thought, or is
      supposed to be.

      > mychael
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic