10342Re: QUESTIONS...

    Nov 17, 2004
      Hello elmoreb

      On 11/17/04, you wrote:
      > Baphomet is the idol that the Knights Templar were accused of
      > worshiping ( and then burned at the stake for on friday the 13th...
      > the reason 13 is bad, as well as friday the 13th). His name is
      > thought to have been made up of other abbreviations. The word its
      > self means "Baptism of Wisdom", and the idol or diety has never been
      > proven to even exist prior to this.
      >
      > In the 20th Century, Ordo Templi Orientis ( the organisation that
      > set up Alister Crowley as thier British Section) "ressurected" the
      > name and made it an occult icon.
      >
      > So Baphomet is a fairly new thing, and has very shaky foundations.
      >
      > As for question 3 & 4, I think you are asking if lucifer is the same
      > as the fallen angel? That is the popular Christian belief. In the
      > early days of the Church, alot of names from other cultures were
      > absorbed. They dont necessarily refer to the same being, but one
      > similar. Its hard to convert the masses without a few names being
      > brought into the mix.

      The name was actually used in one of the illustrations in Eliphas
      Levi's book on Magic, so it dates only to the middle of the 19th
      century, at least in its revival. It was an illustration of the
      supposed Templar Baphomet, BTW. It has been so long since I read it
      I forget what Levi said, just that it was a defense of the Templars
      to my memory (which isn't all that good). Levi is fun to read, just
      take most of what he says with a grain of salt. His books on Magic
      and the "History of Magic' actually contradict each other, even in
      the theme of each book.