      Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 9:37 AM
      Subject: RE: [Gnosticism2] Re: Salvation

      Hi Janahooks       These scriptures have spoken to me and are often ignored
      by the church. i see the Church  as collectve or communitarian where
      everyone must believe the same where Gnosis is more of an individual path
      that is based on inner knowing or revelation through our spirit rather than
      the understanding of others. Communitarianism means conformism but  the
      gnostics were certainly not conformists or would not have  been declared as
      heretics by  the Orthodox Church. Paul also taught in Rom12, "Be not
      conformed to the customs of this world but  be transformed by the renewing
      of our minds."i take this scripture to means we should question all things
      and discern all things for ourselves not based on the beliefs and oppinions
      of others or the group that could mislead us and letting go of some of our
      old belief system.  I know thi s sounds very radical but Jesus himself was
      not a conformist. anything but. He was the anti establishment of his times
      In  Collossians 1 Paul taught there is both the message of the Gospel and
      the mystery of the gospel. The  mystery of the Gospel is Christ in you the
      hope of glory. i wonder if Paul may have been refering to Gnosis? Isn't for
      us to seek the mystery of the Gospel which may mean the mystical Christ
      rather than the Hiistorical Jesus.     Mary

      >From: "janahooks" <janahooks@...>
      >To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Gnosticism2] Re: Salvation
      >Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 03:06:23 -0000