10093Re: A question

    Sep 1, 2004

      > [...]
      > It works like this; Marcion, unlike Gnostics, believed that
      > salvation was gained by faith in the actual literal validity of his
      > system (at least that is how it looks in the things we read from
      > the heresiologists). The Gnostic model is not dependant on a
      > literal belief of the cosmology. SOme may have believed it
      > literally, others may not have.... but the Gnostic writings
      > themselves make fairly clear that what is important is the
      > underlying MEANING of the texts.

      I have to say that my favorite comment on Marcion can be found in
      Michael Williams' _Rethinking Gnosticism_:

      >>Gilles Quispel has offered the memorable characterization of
      Marcion as "a violin with one string." He was, Quispel comments, "a
      religious genius with one overpowering idea: God, the Father of
      Jesus, was not the Hebrew YHVH."<< (pg. 23)

      Truly, no matter how well one might play that ONE string, it's going
      to fall short of satisfying those who prefer to read scriptures with
      various levels of interpretation.

      Besides, just how different is this kind of literalism from that
      which the patristic sources saw as a shortcoming in the Jewish faith?