Re: [glugc] Review of Ubuntu

  • Felix Nelson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
      Hello Praveen

      Thanks for the timely article on Ubuntu. I had tried
      it out but had left it as I had problems with the
      Bootloader, Windows partitions, mp3 support (and to
      make matters worse) the modem was not getting
      activated.

      So this time as I was reminded of Ubuntu I again
      installed it and having solved the problems regarding
      Bootloader and the Windows partitions by modifying
      /etc/fstab with corresp entried from my suse
      installation tackled 3 and 4 using the ubuntu forums.
      Happy to say that mp3's are playing after I used
      synaptic to download the gstreamer package. Yes- got
      the net working too!! And impressively enough am able
      to see my windows shared folders on my laptop which I
      have networked. Some probs remain- for instance- I
      cannot access ubuntu from my laptop running winnxp,
      though it works perfectly the other way. Also I have
      not tried to connect my suse on laptop to ubuntu on
      desktop.

      One thing I have found out. The satisfaction factor in
      Linux is immense. Solving a series of problems might
      be a simple matter for you techies, but for a person
      like me, with no formal knowledge of unix or windows
      or other technicalities involved, getting to such a
      stage gives a great feeling of having accomplished
      something.

      And nothing on Windows has the same thrill or
      satisfaction factor

      Just as an aside- Ubuntu's next release is after
      February- the �Hoary Hedgehog�.

      Regards
      Felix

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Praveen A
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2005
        I love Ubuntu, It is simply superb !!! And the Gnome is so beautiful,
        simplicity and elegance is what Gnome makes superior. Kde is simply
        imitating Windows

        1. Zip files open in filemanager, konqueror, similar to Windows in KDE
        while gnome opens it with file roller
        2. Innovative file manger with simple look. You only need that much
        from a file manger. Small is beautiful. It do things nicely what it is
        intended to do [konqueror is cluttered with so many features --
        network, bookmarks, smba ...] and pass on things that it can't do to
        programmes that do it nicely [html is opened with firefox, zips opened
        with file-roller ...]
        Even the design is original [the new look, well always you can go to
        the old way in case you don't like the new look]
        3. If you say Gnome imitates Mac OS X, well it imitates a great one.
        4. Gnome mines is no nice that I got hooked to it, while kmines is so
        ugly and I couldn't complete a single game [well I closed it ].
        5. Well I don't have to say anything about Gimp and Gnome meeting
        [well I hope krita will be out soon and give gimp a chance to compete]
        6. The way gnome manges the devices [soundcard, hard disk partitions,
        cd, floppy ...]

        [well I found a bug in Ubuntu, when you try to unmount floppy it shows
        error, because the typing mistake it is pumount in place of umount
        :-)]

        Anyway I love KDE !!! better than Windows :-) It is free na ? I'm not
        in a war against KDE here
        now I should also say what makes KDE superb
        1. I like kate, the built-in konsole [though anjuta has it, it won't
        come by default I guess, and more aptly it is compared with kdevelop.
        2. Juke is good but not as good as rhythmbox, which is the best music
        player ever.
        3. Some people may like all in one and windows-ish things in
        GNU/Linux so it is good for them.
        4. Swaroop says the order of OK and Cancel buttons is not the right
        way (?), he might have meant what it is in windows. Well I didn't
        realise it until he said it.
        5. The program chooser (open with ..) window is similar to what it is
        in Windows [Some people may find it easy], but here also gnome does it
        in its own way, the GNU way, after all it is part of the GNU project,
        well it is not that important as freedom. KDE is free, well and good
        those who like it use it. I'll also use it if I don't get gnome :-)
        (CD burners in our main CC runs on Suse 9.1 personal and it has only
        KDE). [well I'll switch over to GNU/hurd once it is available as
        stable one -- debian will have Debian GNU/Hurd , another good news for
        hurd is cell -- the new processor develped by IBM, Sony .. Pradeep
        says it helps micro kernels like Hurd or BSD].
        6. K3b rocks, Gnome still has to prove in this field. Nautilus cd
        burner has to improve to support multisession ...

        Still there are so many things to write.

        Ubuntu rocks!!!!

        Waiting for the Hoary [this was the warty]

        bye
        enjoy gnome or kde whatever you like
        Pravi

        On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:01:57 -0800 (PST), Felix Nelson
        <drfelixnelson@...> wrote:

        > Hello Praveen
        >
        > Thanks for the timely article on Ubuntu. I had tried
        > it out but had left it as I had problems with the
        > Bootloader, Windows partitions, mp3 support (and to
        > make matters worse) the modem was not getting
        > activated.
        >
        > So this time as I was reminded of Ubuntu I again
        > installed it and having solved the problems regarding
        > Bootloader and the Windows partitions by modifying
        > /etc/fstab with corresp entried from my suse
        > installation tackled 3 and 4 using the ubuntu forums.
        > Happy to say that mp3's are playing after I used
        > synaptic to download the gstreamer package. Yes- got
        > the net working too!! And impressively enough am able
        > to see my windows shared folders on my laptop which I
        > have networked. Some probs remain- for instance- I
        > cannot access ubuntu from my laptop running winnxp,
        > though it works perfectly the other way. Also I have
        > not tried to connect my suse on laptop to ubuntu on
        > desktop.
        >
        > One thing I have found out. The satisfaction factor in
        > Linux is immense. Solving a series of problems might
        > be a simple matter for you techies, but for a person
        > like me, with no formal knowledge of unix or windows
        > or other technicalities involved, getting to such a
        > stage gives a great feeling of having accomplished
        > something.
        >
        > And nothing on Windows has the same thrill or
        > satisfaction factor
        >
        > Just as an aside- Ubuntu's next release is after
        > February- the "Hoary Hedgehog".
        >
        > Regards
        > Felix

        "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."
        A proud GNU user
        http://www.gnu.org
        http://www.edathanattukara.com
        My Weblog at http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi