[glowmuck] Web-Based Character Requests (Was:Bring stuff in and out of the MUCK)

  • Ben Shiplet
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2000
      I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here and apologize for taking so
      long to post a response, but .. I have actually implemented a web-
      based character registration system on my muck (AfricanTails) using
      glow's web features.

      The way I've got it set up, users login and request, then wizards can
      login and check the requests .. and either approve or deny them right
      there.

      I also have a little form-cgi set up that will email the approval
      (including password and connection instructions) or the denial to the
      address they used to request the character.

      While I don't have an idle purger set up through the web (one of my
      wizzes uses a text based MUF purger), I did add a feature where they
      can request to be frobbed through the web...

      So .. it can (and has) been done! :)

      If anyone's curious to see what it looks like, it's online at
      http://www.africantails.org/cms, though unless you have a character
      on the muck, the only thing you can get to is the character-request
      section itself. Registered users can access the frobbing, info
      display, and a few other features.

      The one draw back is .. I seem to have used some sort of HTML code at
      at some point that AOL's version of IE chokes on..

      Ack, didn't realize I'd rambled so much! Sorry about the length of
      this thing!

      Ben S.

      bshiplet@...
      simba@...

      --- In glowmuck@egroups.com, Pkunk Fury <pkunk@p...> wrote:
      > You might try contacting Peter Torkelson <petert@f...>, his MUCK,
      > Tapestries, implements a fairly decent web-based character
      registeration
      > scheme. I dont know if he has any sort of purging of inactive
      characters
      > created through the web creation form, but as far as I know, he's
      the only
      > one using such a system for character creations on a MUCK.
      > You can check out his web based application at
      > http://www.fur.com/tapestries
      >
      > --Syvel

      Australia 4075
      ONLY ]-----
      > Involved with the | Fujitsu Australia (www.fujitsu.com.au)
      > following Organisations | Webwise Solutions (info@w...)
      ------
      > Any material detailed in this meessage has not been endorsed by the
      > companies mentioned above unless explicityly noted otherwise.
    • Sleepless in Brisbane
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2000
        On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Ben Shiplet wrote:

        > If anyone's curious to see what it looks like, it's online at
        > http://www.africantails.org/cms, though unless you have a character
        > on the muck, the only thing you can get to is the character-request
        > section itself. Registered users can access the frobbing, info
        > display, and a few other features.

        Well we enabled the web features about 2 days ago; apart from a couple
        of glitches with bad MUF programming most of it is going well so far. We
        can browse through the database and such via the web and have plans now
        to really investigate adding additional features to our website such
        current WHO is online and such.

        The main problems we had were with documentation on how to actually interact
        with the web interface via programs. A little looking in interface.c got
        most of the infrmation we needed though and all has been good since. The one
        main 'gotcha' that caught us for sometime is that the web interfce would not
        be activated if you passed -wizonly to glowmuck on the command-line.

        What we are doing though is making sure most of our information available
        only indirectly from the website using Server Side includes and prefetching
        requests so not too much load is placed on the actual muck server itself.

        Our final plans to have things like MUCK news, MOTD and such all available
        on the website to make it easier for furs to view. And then we will add
        Web-based new character/lost password/help and maybe frob request.

        --Snowy