RE: [gloshistory] E-mail scam

  • John Stephenson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hi Ray

      Thanks for this. 'John Dixon' is probably related to the deposed President Bongo of Nigeria who has billions of dollars in a Swiss bank acct and just wants you to click on the link..... I have a ridiculously complex email password and change it regularly, so hopefully it isn't my acct that's been hacked.

      John Stephenson
      27 Lansdown Place
      Cheltenham
      To: gloshistory@yahoogroups.com
      From: ray.wilson@...
      Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:58:53 +0000
      Subject: [gloshistory] E-mail scam

      Dear List Members

      Please ignore John Dixon's 'plea for help' posted here. This is a well

      know scam. It may be helpful to repeat my posting of July last year.

      Ray Wilson

      ========================

      Dear All,

      Understandably, concern has been shown both "on" and "off list"

      regarding an email posted today requesting assistance from Spain.

      As suggested already, this is a well known scam and happens when

      someone's e-mail account has been compromised and then used to send out

      a fake appeal for help to people in the "victim"s address book. This

      scam is cleverer than most, as you are likely to know the person (and

      might wish to help them).

      It should be made clear that it is an e-mail account belonging to a

      member of the list that has been "hacked" and not the list.

      The Gloshistory list is 'members only' and' non moderated'. So once

      accepted on the list, you can send whatever you like to list and it

      will be redistributed to all list members immediately. This is how the

      fake appeal was able to reach you. Needless to say, anyone deliberately

      posting offensive material will be removed from the list as soon as

      practicable.

      If this happens to you, normally you need only change your e-mail

      password. Some email domains seem more vulnerable than others but it

      would probably be libellous to mention any.

      If you have any queries please contact me off list at

      mailto:webmaster@....

      --

      Regards

      Ray

      ================================

    • J DIXON
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        Thanks Ray - sorting out but I have lost contacts including yahoo group.

        Would you therefore kindly put on:
         next meeting of THS is on 21 March 2013 at 7.45 at the Methodist Church at the Cross; it is presented by Dr. Madge Dresser of UWE and entitled "Slavery Obscured by Philanthropy"; we all have houses (our Town Hall & Mythe House) or industries (Coaley Edge Tool Co.) which benefited from the profits of the West Indian slave trade - but we are not aware of it!  It has a resonance far beyond Tewkesbury and so visitors would be welcome and on production of a Society membership card they would gain entry at our members' price of £2.50p

        Thanks.

        Best Wishes,

        John

        Please acknowledge this email

        John Dixon, M.Phil.,
        President T.H.S.,
        5 Stokes Court,
        Oldbury Road,
        Tewkesbury, GL20 5JL

        01684-294262/07747727703

        ________________________________
[...]

        mailto:mailto:webmaster%40gloshistory.org.uk.

        --
        Regards
        Ray
      • J DIXON
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          Please read this: some illiterate - but canny - person has scammed by email.  Please accept my apologies.  Security details changed.  However,
          What was happening was that all replies to my emails were not only going to my live.com but also Ruth.brett@....  "She" has been removed.

          I hope that I will get my contacts back in 2 days Please remove my email address@... and also ruth.brett@... .Will that be an end to it?

          So if you have send me any replies recently to which you require a reply please resend.

          Thanks for all your help.