The Mortimer History Society May 2012 Meeting

  • Ray Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2012
      For your information - see link at bottom for details or to book

      *Mortimer History Society Spring Conference May 12, 2012*

      At Earl Mortimer College, Leominster 10 – 3.30pm

      *Edward I *

      and *Roger Mortimer, Simon de Montfort, and Prince Llewelyn*

      Dear Friends,

      I would like to invite you, and your Society to this exciting conference
      on Edward I and his contemporaries. How should we view *Edward I,
      1239–1307, *Conqueror of Wales, nemesis of Simon de Montfort, Prince
      Llywelyn and William Wallace. Edward I was one of the most important
      and violent of all English kings, his reign one of the most dramatic of
      the entire Middle Ages. Was he a pioneering nation-builder, defending
      the rights of the Crown, or simply a violent megalomaniac, determined to
      add to his dominions at any cost?

      This fascinating story is being explored at the Spring Conference of the
      Mortimer History Society on May 12^th at the Earl Mortimer College,
      Leominster. Dr Marc Morris, author of /A Great and Terrible King: Edward
      I and the Forging of Britain /explores Edward’s career. He leads a full
      study day in which there are also seminars to explore alternative
      viewpoints.

      Welsh historians will talk about Prince Llywelyn’s achievements. John
      Davies, chairman of the Abbey Cwm Hir Society will be a contributor.
      Kathryn Ashe, an American author who has written several novels on Simon
      de Montfort, is coming over especially for the conference.
      Representatives of the Simon de Montfort Society such as Tim Porter will
      be there. Paul Remfry, an authority on the history of the Marches, its
      lord and castles, will be talking about Roger Mortimer’s role and high
      standing with Edward.

      We do hope that you will give us your support by publicising the details
      of this conference to all you society’s members.

      Yours sincerely,

      */John Grove/*, Chairman
      johnusk@...

      Tickets are available online http://www.mortimerhistorysociety.org.uk/
      or from Stella Mason, Boraston, Tenbury Wells. WR15 8LJ (01584 810505).

      All day Tickets include buffet lunch £20 (members £18). Please include
      SAE