Tanning industry

  • John Loosley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2010
      I have just been emailed with info on the following book which, though not
      about Gloucestershire, could be of interest

      John

      The Largest Tanyard in the Kingdom

      A study of a once important local industry

      This is a study of more than 300 years of the tanning industry in Wantage.
      An industry that when seen by William Mavor, a surveyor from the Board of
      Agriculture in 1809, caused him to report that ‘The tanyard belonging to Mr
      Sylvester is the largest in the kingdom and is conducted on the most
      improved principle’.

      The practical effects of legislation, wars and taxation are considered as
      well as the difficulties presented by poor road communication. In addition
      the Industrial Revolution created an increased home demand and an expansion
      of overseas trade. Despite these problems, our tanners were very successful,
      becoming wealthy and well respected members of the emerging ‘middle class’
      in society, holding important positions within the town. Yet by 1825 all
      traces of the industry had disappeared and the casual visitor today would
      never know the tanyards had even existed.

      This book should be on the bookshelf of anyone interested in social history
      as well as those studying the impact of local industries such as tanning on
      local towns..

      John Parrott

      Tel: 01235 769213

      e-mail john.parrott4@...

      £12 plus £2 p&p for 1st class postage.

      Orders to 63 Charlton Road, Wantage, OX12 8HJ

      Cheques, £14, made payable to J Parrott