Gloucestershire Archives

  • John Loosley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
      I have just delved into the Gloucestershire County Council proposed budget for 2008-9 and am horrified to see that they are proposing that the Archives should close to public access on Mondays, stop digitisation, reduce preservation/conservation team and misc reductions all amounting to £79000 and the loss of 6 staff
      I think that we should protest at these proposals and welcome ideas

      John

    • Hugh Conway-Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
        John

        I am willing to lobby councillors. Who are the relevant people?

        Hugh

        I have just delved into the Gloucestershire County Council proposed budget for 2008-9 and am
        horrified to see that they are proposing that the Archives should close to public access on Mondays,
        stop digitisation, reduce preservation/conservation team and misc reductions all amounting to £79000
        and the loss of 6 staff
        I think that we should protest at these proposals and welcome ideas

        John

        This email has been verified as Virus free.

      • Geoffrey A. North
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2008
          John

          I think that Hugh is on the right lines. Individually and as organisations
          we need to lobby councillors. The one item that we mustn’t loose sight of is
          the fact that the clock is ticking – final budget decisions are being made
          shortly. I will try to get the exact date today

          Geoff

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2008
            Many thanks for the several comments and helpful suggestions. I have spoken to Hugh Kearsey, Chairman of Gloucestershire Family History Society and he will raise this at their Committee Meeting next Monday and am seeking advice from others on possible action
            Will keep you informed of progress

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14, 2008
              Proposed budget cuts to Archive services

              Please note that all objections to the above need to be received by the 16th
              January as that is the date of the next budget round!

              I would suggest that you send your objections to Councillor Tony
              Hicks....tony.hicks@...

              Geoff

              _____