GRO Inclosure maps project

  • John Loosley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      Dear All,
      At the Local History Committee Meeting in December Julie Courtney of the Record Office described the proposed project as outlined below and asked for feedback from individuals and groups on how they could use the digital copies and support for this project.
      Please reply directly to Julie.
      John
      PS To find out if a map covers your area check the online catalogue on www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives

      Proposal for project to digitise and conserve Gloucestershire Record office's collection of inclosure maps

      An important series of records owned by Glos CC (part of Quarter Sessions archive)

      About 160 awards and associated maps covering individual parishes; dating from 1727 to 1918 but mostly late 18th and 19th centuries

      Information - owners and occupiers; roads + footpaths; boundaries; common land

      Usage - high - e.g. over one recent 6 month period, 92 different maps had been used by searchers - 57% of total

      Problems - bulky + unwieldy - folded, creased and damaged; inadequate storage arrangements; access just at GRO

      GRO's bid in 2004/5 for external funding to conserve these records was unsuccessful despite trying 3 organisations - though Friends of Glos Archives had raised over £3k towards it.

      Now considering other options - we think the best use of existing funds would be to redraft our project to meet the criteria for the 'Archives 4 All' programme just launched by The National Archives (mainly HLF funded)

      This extends the 'Access to Archives' (A2A) project: 'Archives 4 All' phase emphasizes partnership working with archives and community groups, and stresses the importance of learning and outreach activities

      So we are looking at ways of combining digitization and conservation of the inclosure records - essentially by providing digital copies that can be used by community groups for all sorts of research/educational/informative activities. There is also likely to be scope for volunteers working at GRO.

      The Friends have expressed support for this 'line of attack' - we are hoping your members will have ideas to develop or comments for us to use in our planning.

      Our timescale is that proposals have to be submitted by March 2006.

      We would be really grateful if you have the opportunity to discuss this idea with your members and groups and feedback comments in the new year.

      Julie Courtenay

      Senior Cataloguer Gloucestershire Record Office

      01452 425294 email records@...