Useful Websites for Local History

  • Hugh Conway-Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
      As many will know, there is a page on the Gloucestershire Local History Website that provides links to a range of
      websites that are useful for local history research. The page includes specific Gloucestershire sites and also national
      sites that have relevant Gloucestershire information. To see what is covered, just click on this link
      http://home.freeuk.com/gloshistory/lhcsites.htm.

      If you know of other sites that have been of use in your own local history research, I would be glad to hear of them.

      Hugh
    • John Loosley
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
        Hugh, Thank you for reminding us of these useful sites
        Can I add a couple more which have been highlighted in the latest BALH local
        history news
        www.rgs.org the website of the Royal Geographical Society which has an on
        line catalogue and by putting in Gloucestershire it came up with a total of
        33 maps in its collection.
        www.visionofbritain.org.uk which is a vision of Britain between 1801 and
        2001 including maps, statistical trends and historical description. This
        site will soon have complete census statistics from 1801 to 2001 and already
        has a lot of useful information

        John