Re: New version of Gish

  • Roy Fullmer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2 12:20 PM
      Just uploaded a new version, with the following improvements:

      1) More apostrophe endings recognized ( you'd, don't ).
      2) Proper spacing between letter and non-letter characters.
      3) Now recognizes the "in" and "un" prefixes. For example,
      "inconsiderate" returns ?ne-?examina, with the question marks because
      neither it nor 'considerate' appears in the dictionary. "Unbreakable"
      == ?ne-?frakti.
      4) More efficient calculation of the percentage processed.
    • gunananda
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3 2:42 PM
        salut a co ,

        is it possible to adopt this program so that it can translate from
        German or is this to complicate?
      • Roy Fullmer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4 8:52 AM
          --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, "gunananda" <gunananda@...> wrote:

          > salut a co ,
          >
          > is it possible to adopt this program so that it can translate from
          > German or is this to complicate?

          It depends on whether German has the simple and consistent use of
          suffixes and prefixes that English does. By simple I mean that
          suffixes are just added to words, and the words themselves don't
          change, in a consistent way.
        • matthias liszt
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4 4:38 PM
            Sorry , but German is complete irregular in this.
            Plurals, verb forms and adjectives are mostly formed irregular.

            Here are some samples:
            guter Computer (good computer) - gute Computer (good computers)
            guter Apfel (apple) - gute Äpfel (apples)
            gute Torte (cake) - gute Torten (cakes)
            gutes Gericht (good meal) - gute Gerichte (good meals)

            Also the use of pronouns for refering depends on the gender.

            Du gabst mir *den Apfel, *den ich gegessen habe.
            *Er hat mir sehr gut geschmeckt.
            You gave me the apple, which I was eating.
            It was tasting very good.

            Du gabst mir *die Torte, *die ich gegessen habe.
            *Sie hat mir sehr gut geschmeckt.
            You gave me the cake, which I was eating.
            It was tasting very good.

          • Roy Fullmer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 5 7:24 PM
              Just uploaded a version that fixes a whole lot of problems with the
              apostrophes. Everything should be OK now.
            • Roy Fullmer
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6 1:38 PM
                Today I added recognition for the ve ending, and the im, de, and dis
                prefixes. Also the program by default now does not include the
                question and exclamation marks when a word is not found, but this can
                be included with the +? option ( which must come before the file name,
                or by itself ). Following is this paragraph translated with and
                without the option:

                nu-di mi ?pa-adi rekogni pro u !ve ?akro, e u !im, !de, e !dis
                ?plu-prefixa. plus u programa para ?ne-defekti nu akti ne inklude u
                qestio e !exclamation ?plu-makula kron u verba es ne pa-detekti,
                anti-co u-ci pote es ?pa-inklude ko u +? ?opti ( qi nece veni pre u
                dokumenta nomina, alo para auto ). seqe es u-ci paragrafo
                ?pa-translati ko e minus u ?opti:

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 30 10:46 AM
                  On Saturday I uploaded a new version with a slight improvement.
                  Plurals ending in 'cies' are now recognized as plurals of words ending
                  with 'cy'. 'Mercies' or 'fancies' are now recognized as plurals of
                  'mercy' and 'fancy', but 'currencies' is not recognized because
                  'currency' doesn't exist in the dictionary, even though 'current' does.
                • Roy Fullmer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 12, 2007
                      I've uploaded a new version with exact reproduction of untranslated
                      text and better capitalization. Capitalized words are translated as
                      capitalized Glosa words, and all capital letter words are translated
                      as all capital letter Glosa words.
                    • ecclesonc
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007
                        --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Fullmer" <ernobe@...> wrote:

                        > I've uploaded a new version with exact reproduction of untranslated
                        > text and better capitalization. Capitalized words are translated as
                        > capitalized Glosa words, and all capital letter words are translated
                        > as all capital letter Glosa words.

                        Hello Roy, I have only recently jointed the Glosa group - would you
                        please give me some info re Gish and how I can gain access?
                        Regards, David J P.
                      • Roy Fullmer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 14, 2007
                          --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, "ecclesonc" <Davidporter@...> wrote:

                          > --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Fullmer" <ernobe@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I've uploaded a new version with exact reproduction of untranslated
                          > > text and better capitalization. Capitalized words are translated as
                          > > capitalized Glosa words, and all capital letter words are translated
                          > > as all capital letter Glosa words.
                          > >
                          > Hello Roy, I have only recently jointed the Glosa group - would you
                          > please give me some info re Gish and how I can gain access?
                          > Regards, David J P.

                          It depends on your operating system. If you have Windows, you can
                          download the program at ar.geocities.com/ernobe/gish.zip . This is a
                          commandline program, which means you need access to the shell. At
                          present I use Debian Linux so I wouldn't know exactly how you should
                          go about gaining access to your shell, if you have Windows. Windows
                          or Linux users, and generally anyone who wants to use the program
                          should follow the instructions at
                          www.costarricense.cr/pagina/ernobe/proglosa.htm .
                        • Roy Fullmer
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                            I've uploaded a new version, which fixes an error which caused gish to
                            crash ( end with an error message ) upon translating 'departure'.
                            It's a pretty obvious missight so I don't suspect that there are any
                            more errors that would cause it to crash.