Re: English-Glosa web page translator

  • Roy Fullmer
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
      --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, Robin Fairbridge Gaskell
      > Interesting!
      > This idea, that writing in Glosa demands using words in meaningful
      > context is roughly the same idea that I have been stressing for
      > years, i.e. that the correct use of Glosa demands an elegant accuracy.
      > Thus, if information is laid down in Glosa, it is quite easy
      > to translate out of it -- into other national languages and even into
      > other Planned Languages.
      > If the above idea is correct, it would stamp Glosa as the
      > ideal Middle Language and as a suitable candidate for as the bridge
      > language in a computer translation process. What is more, the bridge
      > language, i.e. Glosa, or a close variant of it, would be readable by
      > humans as well as by machines.
      > And on the reference to "Glosa -> Esperanto" I would
      > definitely find the well-written Glosa version of a document a lot
      > easier to understand than the well-written Esperanto version of
      > it. In fact, I had to do a translation, on paper, from Esperanto
      > into English when the now Professor of Linguistics in China, Haitao,
      > insisted on answering my Glosa letters to him in Esperanto.

      Much as I share your enthusiasm about the whole thing, I diverge with
      respect to the viability of a "bridge language in a computer
      translation process", which to me seems very far-fetched.

      Things need to be written in Glosa first, then machine translated into
      other languages. Of particular interest for moving in this direction
      is whether or not machine translated Glosa into Chinese is readable as
      an original Chinese language composition. If so, it would prove very
      appealing to the Chinese language speakers, who constitute the largest
      population on Earth. It seems to me that what you've been stressing
      for years has been known to them for millenia. I'm studying an
      ancient Chinese classic which has been translated many times into many
      different languages, and have discovered that a word for word
      translation into Glosa brings the meaning out much better than any of
      them. The development of the proper Glosa-Chinese wordlist requires
      someone well versed in both English and Chinese. If Professor Haitao
      doesn't speak a word of English perhaps he will not get the proper
      nuance of meaning of particular English words. For example, the Glosa
      word 'bali' would have to be translated into a Chinese language
      equivalent that could transmit all the nuances of meaning of which it
      is capable, which in English is expressed by the word 'hurl', and so on.