Re: heretic grammar

  • Kevin Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, sydpidd@... wrote:
      > "Plu bovi vora" could mean "cows eat" or "foods of the cow"
      > "Plu bovi pa vora" must mean "the cows ate". I have several times been
      > puzzled by a glosa phrase's meaning in the present because writers
      have not
      > marked the beginning of the time/control/verb part. To get round
      the problem, I
      > used the word "du" with the english "do eat / did eat" in mind.
      However, there
      > is some confusion with duration etc. Durante/o, dura, du . "Du"
      seems to
      > mean "am eating" which usually suggests "at this moment" whereas I
      want "past
      > + future +present intermitent" - "pa-nu-fu-frakti" ?!
      > i should be grateful if someone could suggest something to
      introduce the
      > verb present clearly and briefly.

      I had the same concerns. When I created Glo, a variant of Glosa, I
      added several helper words, because I couldn't find anything within
      Glosa that could solve the problems. I forget why I chose "ca" for the
      verb marker. Here's an excerpt of my Glo rules:

      Glo structures not in Glosa

      * ca - Marks the beginning of the action (verb phrase).
      For example:
      mi ca devora. (I eat.)
      * da - Marks the beginning of the direct object.
      For example:
      mi ca devora da frukti. (I eat fruit.)
      * ku - What? or Which? This replaces Glosa's qe and qi.
      For example:
      ku; tu ca desira da agua?. (Do you want water?)
      tu ca desira da ku kosa?. (You want what [thing]?)
      * le - Definite article (the/this/that/these/those).
      For example:
      mi ca devora da le frukti. (I eat this fruit.)
      * sa - Indicates posession, like the English 's.
      For example:
      mi sa femina parenta ca ridi. (My mother laughs).

      For me, "ca" solved a serious Glosa problem. The others were minor
      improvements, which I adopted because they seemed more convenient,
      clear, or better-sounding. I forget why I chose "ca"...probably
      because it doesn't sound like other words that might appear in that
      location.

      Kevin
    • sydpidd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
        i shall try ca etc - i was doing much the same sort of thing but tried to
        use words already in glosa - there were problems - more heresies to follow -
        they have been delayed by much of my email records etc disappearing and then
        partial reappearinsid