Re: [glosalist] Re: The Glosa Killer App

  • Robin Fairbridge Gaskell
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2006
      At 03:07 AM 3/29/06, Kevin Smith grafo:
      >--- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne S. Rossi" wrote:
      > > I think a conlang's success relies on getting
      > > it out in the popular consciousness, through things like
      > > literature, magazines, music, and film.
      >
      >True. The internet is cheaper, faster, and more global than any other
      >medium I can think of. It also connects well with younger folks, who
      >are (perhaps) more likely to try something radical. Thus, I would
      >focus on it rather than paper books, magazines, music, or film.
      >
      >I also think that translating practical information is more valuable
      >than translating material for art and entertainment. The biggest
      >motivation to learn Glosa is to obtain useful information that is not
      >available in the reader's native language. I'm not sure many people
      >would be motivated to learn Glosa just to gain access to poetry or
      >fiction.
      >
      > > Glosa, like several other IAL projects
      > > I think could develop into something major given a chance,
      > > seems mostly to be the stuff of introverted journals.
      > > At this point, even a blog in the language would be a big step.
      >
      >True. It is much easier to translate text than to write original text.
      >If there were a few sources of news, opinion, or culture that were
      >freely available to be translated, that could be the starting point
      >for a Glosa blog. These days, there may be some great blogs that use a
      >Creative Commons license that would permit translation into Glosa.
      >
      >Translating a steady stream of material from French, Russian, Chinese,
      >or whatever would be a powerful demonstration of IAL benefits. Doing
      >the same for English sources would still be valuable, although not as
      >much because English is so widely known.
      >
      >Imagine if 10 Glosa-pe each translated one blog posting or article
      >each week, and posted them all to the same Glosa blog site.
      >
      >Kevin

      I will say that I can contribute to a blog, but not to other
      forms of art; also, the blog is instantly accessible to all with the
      curiosity and a computer connected to the Net. I am getting too old
      to get my head around the idea, and rationale, behind blogging, so
      someone else would have to set up the site. However, I would be a
      regular visitor. Sadly I use only two languages: English and
      Glosa. I would not be able to provide translations into any other
      language than my mother tongue.

      Yes, it is an excellent idea,

      Robin