Hello all!

  • Nikhil Sinha
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2005
      Hi

      I am Nikhil Sinha from India. I just joined the Glosa mailing list. I came
      to know about Glosa last year. I got interested in the language, but I have
      not yet been able to learn the language!

      Nikhil Sinha

      nikhilsinha_in@...

      www.geocities.com/nikhilsinha_in

      "Lukw Aazgaenae - aamos vurda-aan-Kaunlaanga jaenamaenta. Vizitw www.geocities.com/nikhilsinha_in/azgen.htm non far moaapro taelaamaente itae aan Daaunlodw ita diden!"
    • Robin Fairbridge Gaskell
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 15, 2005
        Saluta Nikhil e plu hetero lingua-pe,

        At 03:47 PM 8/14/05, you wrote:
        >Hi
        >
        >I am Nikhil Sinha from India. I just joined the Glosa mailing list. I came
        >to know about Glosa last year. I got interested in the language, but I have
        >not yet been able to learn the language!
        >
        >Nikhil Sinha
        >
        >nikhilsinha_in@...
        >
        >www.geocities.com/nikhilsinha_in
        >
        >"Lukw Aazgaenae - aamos vurda-aan-Kaunlaanga jaenamaenta. Vizitw
        >www.geocities.com/nikhilsinha_in/azgen.htm non far moaapro taelaamaente
        >itae aan Daaunlodw ita diden!"
        Well, I guess I understand the difficulty you might have been having with
        Glosa.

        Were I immortal, I'd spend some of my endless time inventing fun languages
        for my own amusement ... too.

        But I'm 69 and my time will be up one day soon enough. So, I put it down
        that the twenty-five years I've spent in and around Glosa have been
        enough. And after I die there will only be a few traces of what I have
        done with Glosa - lingering on the Internet: ghosts of what could have been.

        Why is it hard to learn: it was an attempt to find the golden thread of
        commonality running through the major European national languages. I
        suspect that there is some common denominator .. mainly from the
        Indo-European stem.

        But Ron was bright, and he assumed too much of his fellow man. He tried to
        avoid imposing a grammar upon Glosa's learners, expecting that intuition
        would take over -- and the innate nature of a natural syntactic pattern,
        which was hard-wired into our brains, would emerge.

        Perhaps he expected too much creativity. The
        Classical_vocab/Italian-sounding language that he created might yet be
        adopted as a standardised form of communication for science
        internationally. Glosa is boringly logical, and devoid of colour, if you
        cut out the similes and metaphors as he advised.

        What really makes Glosa difficult is not the syntax, which is virtually
        mechanical, but the precise vocabulary. In saying something, you are
        supposed to call a spade "a spade" always. However, people are lazy, and
        often deceptive, or even dishonest: our brains find it too tiresome to
        always use the correct word; and, often, using plain language is painfully
        revealing. We have all developed the comfortable shorthand of saying
        something as briefly as possible (often using ellipsis), and usually with
        the nearest words that come to mind - there not being any need for exact
        accuracy. What's more, there's more poetry in communication if we are
        artful in our use of words and in our turn of phrase.

        In short, Nikhil, I did browse your website, and it is obvious that
        complexities of sound, grammar and script make language interesting for
        you. Glosa was invented on a different tack: the aim was for simplicity of
        use, and for ease of learning. Perhaps the human brain really does not
        seek the simplicity that Ron Clark thought he had found. But one truism I
        did learn in my wanderings through the Linguistic wilderness, is that there
        are two types of people: one group is memory-based, and revels in the
        twists and turns of inflection; the other group is considerably less
        polyglot, and wishes for an easy path through communication. Being less
        rule-based, members of this second group use less memory and more intuition
        in the way they speak. The first group is epitomised by those who learn to
        like Esperanto; the second group might be drawn to Glosa, but would see
        Italian or Spanish as easy second languages, because although they are
        somewhat inflected, they are fairly regular. English while only very
        slightly inflected, appears to lack pattern, and does carry the confusions
        of vocabulary and grammar from its numerous cultural infusions. Glosa,
        restricted to only Roman &/or Greek vocabulary sources, and having a
        standardised (head final) syntactic structure is, in theory, easy to learn
        and use.

        My favourite example of how Glosa differs from English is the sentence,
        "I'm going home." which translates - more or less correctly - into Glosa as
        ~Mi ki a mi domi.~

        Everyone who learns to speak English acknowledges the unwritten rule that
        there probably are a few words missing between "going" and "home," and that
        one really cannot "go" a "home." However, if there is no hard and fast
        rule stating that the 'indirect object' always requires a preposition; and,
        if everyone understands what you mean, then ^near enough is good enough^.

        If, of course, the continuous tense is required, then the above example
        would need the addition of an extra particle before the verb:-

        G. Mi ki a mi domi. Mi du ki
        a mi domi.
        glos. I go to my house I
        continue to go to my house

        E. I go home. I am
        going home.

        So, while I am still very interested in language and communication, and I
        believe that Glosa best embodies the innate syntax of the brain's
        linguistic function (related to Chomsky's Universal Grammar), I know that
        rule-based people have been taught language must follow set patterns, and
        they expect that all languages must have culturally imposed, detailed
        morphological grammars. Thus, while Glosa appears to be obviously not
        rule-based, it is highly unsuitable for this large section of mankind,
        which has been educated to believe that all successful languages are highly
        inflected with ornate morphologies that parallel this.

        There are a few spots around the Net with Glosa items on them, and Wendy
        Ashby would sell you Glosa instructional material - if you are
        interested. Wendy is at
        P. O. Box 18, Richmond, Surrey TW9 2GE, England.

        Saluta,

        Robin Gaskell
      • Василий Терехов
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
          Improving of Glosa by Vasiliy Terehov (It's me).

          Here existing roules have marked as GLOSA.
          Here all improvements have marked as UPGRADE.

          Minimum of differences and additions, maximum of new advantages!

          Numerals _____________

          For both decimal and hexadecimal systems
          AS IS in GLOSA.
          0 ze
          1 mo
          2 bi
          3 tri
          4 tet
          5 pen
          6 siks
          7 seti
          8 ok
          9 nona
          10 deka
          11 mo-mo
          12 mo-bi
          13 mo-tri
          14 mo-tet
          15 mo-pen
          20 bi-ze
          21 bi-ze mo
          30 tri-ze
          40 tetra-ze
          50 pen-ze

          NEW ADDITIONS!

          UPGRADE, for decimal system:
          10 deka
          11 modek-mo
          12 modek-bi
          13 modek-tri
          14 modek-tet
          15 modek-pen
          20 bidek
          21 bidek-mo
          30 tridek
          40 te(t)dek
          50 pendek
          60 si(k)sdek
          100 mo hekto
          200 bi hekto
          1000 mo kilo

          UPGRADE, for hexadecimal system:
          9 nona
          A ay (= decimal 10)
          B bey (= decimal 11)
          C cey (= decimal 12)
          D dey (= decimal 13)
          E ey (= decimal 14)
          F fey (= decimal 15)
          10 hedek (= decimal 16)
          11 mohedek-mo (= decimal 17)
          12 mohedek-bi (= decimal 18)
          13 mohedek-tri (= decimal 19)
          14 mohedek-tet (= decimal 20)
          15 mohedek-pen (= decimal 21)
          1B mohedek-bey, alo mo-bey (= decimal 27)
          20 bihedek (= decimal 32)
          21 bihedek mo (= decimal 33)
          30 trihedek
          40 tethedek
          50 penhedek
          60 sikshedek
          100 mo hehekto (= decimal 256)
          200 bi hehekto
          1000 mo hekilo (= decimal 4096)

          Well, I think that any programmers would understand me.

          Vale,
          Vasiliy Terehov.

          Mi eko in urba Soci. Mi civita es beli.

          P.S.

          Where is Sochi? It located on Black Sea beach of Russia.

          Climate: subtropics.

          Economy: tourism and healthy.

          Nearest cities:
          Tuapse (Black Sea port),
          Novorossiysk (biggest russian Black Sea port),
          Krasnodar (it means 'Red-Gift' and 'Beauty-Gift' in Russian; megapolis in our region).

          Nearest borders: Georgia (40 km), Ukraine (Krym).

          Nations:
          most numerous - ukrainian, russian,
          then - armenian,
          then - other caucasians.
        • sydpidd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
            meng glosa bol sakta hung
            aj nehing hindi bol hung !!!!!!!!!
            could manage a little hindi about 40 years ago but very little now
            welcome behut achha
            syd

          • Nikhil Sinha
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 17, 2005
              Bahut bahut dhanyavad. :)

              Nik

              could manage a little hindi about 40 years ago but very little now

              welcome behut achha

              syd

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "glosalist" on the web.

            • Nikhil Sinha
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 17, 2005
                Well the only reason I could not learn Glosa is I did not get the

                opportunity and time.

                Yes and I do like to learn about complicated languages but when it comes to

                language-learning I wud prefer simpler ones.

                Nik

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2005
                  At 02:01 AM 8/18/05, Nikhil Sinha pa grafo:
                  >Well the only reason I could not learn Glosa is I did not get the
                  >opportunity and time.
                  >
                  >Yes and I do like to learn about complicated languages but when it comes to
                  >language-learning I wud prefer simpler ones.
                  Well,Sorry Nik,
                  I guess I made an incorrect assumption. I've probably got a bit
                  touchy over time with people sniping at Glosa. In the past I especially
                  got annoyed, though I never said anything about it, over people who made
                  comments about Glossa. I know That Ron Clark took his initiative from
                  Hogben's Interglossa, and didn't start work on Glosa until after he'd got
                  permission from Hogben to continue the work he had already done on
                  Interglossa. In the early days, the authors had called the new language,
                  Glossa; but in line with Ron and Wendy's policy of avoiding the use of
                  double-letters, the name was updated. Unfortunately the brains of some of
                  the linguists studying designed languages failed to make the upgrade.

                  And just a historical point on that: the two languages, Glosa and
                  Interglossa, do not look as similar as we might have thought; this is
                  explained by the fact that, although Ron did try very hard to develop
                  Hogben's scheme, he simply found it was not workable as it was, so he
                  decided to go back to ^square one^ and start again from first
                  principles. The Glosa first principle were, however, quite close to those
                  of Interglossa, but somewhat more streamlined.

                  I wondered how many of our readers have thought about the idea of a
                  language that has its grammar shown through its syntax. This is the
                  premise behind Glosa, and one that has had very little discussion. While a
                  number of people have suggested throwing out a some of Glosa's basic
                  tenets, and adding complication, very few Glosa-pe have actually used the
                  word "syntax," and considered researching further the refinements of syntax
                  in human communication.

                  So, for this reason, Nik, I would raise this question with you ...
                  and anyone else who wishes to comment on it: have you had any thoughts
                  about syntax as a common denominator in language (and communication) and as
                  a principle suitable for basing an auxillary language on?

                  Without trying to be rude, I suspect that syntax is an area of
                  linguistic research that professional Linguists have rather avoided up to now.

                  Saluta,

                  Robin
                • Konstantin Aleksandrov
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 19, 2005
                    Hello. Can I publish information from www.glosa.org at UniLang? Head of the
                    portal does not contradict to add Glosa to UniLang's language lists and
                    educational sections.

                    Saluton. Estro de UniLang ne kontraŭas publikigi informon pri glosa ĉe la retpa
                    ĝaro kaj aldoni la lingvon en lingvolistojn de UniLang. Se nunaj posedantoj de
                    la lingvo ankaŭ ne kontraŭas, mi povas kopii lernolibrojn kaj vortarojn de
                    www.glosa.org al la portalo.

                    --

                    By the means of one-pointed meditation upon the relationship between the
                    kasha and sound, an organ for spiritual hearing will be developed. 147
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 20, 2005
                      Read on. (My reply after three asterix marks.)

                      So, for this reason, Nik, I would raise this question with you ...

                      and anyone else who wishes to comment on it: have you had any thoughts

                      about syntax as a common denominator in language (and communication) and as

                      a principle suitable for basing an auxillary language on?

                      Without trying to be rude, I suspect that syntax is an area of

                      linguistic research that professional Linguists have rather avoided up to
                      now.

                      Saluta,

                      Robin

                      ****

                      Well,

                      I didnt really understand what you were asking me about syntax of a language
                      But here is what I know about syntax.

                      Inflecting and Agglutinating languages, like Esperanto do not need a syntax
                      or in more particular a word order. For example,

                      Mi trinkas teon.

                      Mi teon trinkas.

                      Teon trinkas mi.

                      Trinkas teon mi.

                      All the above mean the same, 'I drink tea' and not something like 'Tea
                      drinks me' or the like. This is due to the objective case -n (teo+n).

                      But when it comes to isolating languages, word order is 100% necessary as
                      that becomes the SOLE way to convey meaning. And since Glosa is isolating ,
                      this applies to Glosa as well.

                      However, there is a language spoken somewhere in or around Myanmar which is
                      isolating yet it has no syntax. And its speakers still manage to understand
                      each other. But this is the only exception and the reason the speakers
                      understand each other is that they have been using it since birth, which is
                      not the case for Glosa-pe.

                      Regards,

                      Nikhil

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 21, 2005
                        In a message dated 2005-08-19 12:09:56 GMT Daylight Time,
                        drought-breaker@... writes:

                        <I wondered how many of our readers have thought about the idea of a language
                        that has its <grammar shown through its syntax.

                        sorry don't understand what you mean here by "grammar" and by "syntax"
                        syd