Glosa in the Information Age

  • ddwoske
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2005
      I know very little about Glosa, but have been thinking about a common
      language for awhile and happened to stumble across it this week.

      I put together a blog entry today putting forth an idea, and was
      wondering if anyone outside the programming world could provide
      feedback on it. I'm not even sure if it's a new idea or not.

      Basically :

      Now and even more so in the future people will be reading information
      stored on computers. I'm sure we can design new letters which are
      easy to read in print and in electronic form, while still being simple
      for computers to recognize. Graffiti is used by the Palm Pilot as an
      alternative to the Modern Latin Alphabet. If we use Graffiti-type
      letters instead of the Latin or Roman letters it would be easier for
      computers to recognize the text. Combined with Glosa, we'd not only
      have a language which allows cultures to communicate, but for
      computers to recognize easily as well.

      Entire blog entry:

      http://www.loraxis.com/cgi-bin/don-blog.cgi/2005/04/19#20050419-prescriptivism

      Sorry if this board usually posts in Glosa opposed to English, I don't
      have any experience with it yet. My Glosa in the blog entry may also
      need to be corrected.
    • Robin Fairbridge Gaskell
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2005
        >Hi Don,

        Glad you like Glosa.
        Guess you have not looked far into its reason for being.
        Yes we do take messages in other languages; prefer to have the first
        language plus Glosa; OR as I usually do... think in Glosa, write the Glosa,
        then give an English language rendition.
        ~mi grafo uti Glosa; seqe, mi grafo uti England Lingua.~
        ' I write in Glosa, then I write in English.'
        However, I see no actual conceptual leap in using the "Graffiti" font,
        other than to facilitate the writing of info on a hand-held stylus-input
        computer.
        In Glosa, the hidden flaw has always been the need to teach people who
        use alternative writing schemes to the Roman alphabet, how to write in this
        script. The second hidden flaw has been in trying to get people to use
        plain (non-metaphor) thinking and to put these '''concept/words''' into
        pure, syntactical sentences.
        ...The use of "Graffiti" script addresses neither of these
        problems.
        I very strongly suspect that the lower-case, simple Latin script is
        easier to read than the upper-case version of this script, and, even
        without much experience of it, I believe the Graffiti font, with its
        irregularly shaped letters would be even harder to read, and possibly more
        tiring to the eyes, than having to struggle through pages of Latin script
        USING ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS!
        While I respect your search for better ways of achieving
        international written/typed communication than at present, I'd say that
        adopting an easily written font for the Latin script - especially one based
        on the upper-case form of that script - is not the way to go.
        Worse than that, I would imagine that adopting an easily
        stylus-written script is a rationalisation for using 'Notepad-type'
        computers created by an executive of a note-pad type corporation.
        I would also question the existence of educational research trials
        testing the ease of learning of Graffiti font by school-children, both
        those in Latin-script culture and those living in cultures with other than
        Latin script.

        While Blissymbols was an obvious attempt to come up with a
        culture-free set of communication symbols, these are not easy to write, and
        there is no spoken form for them. They could be written and read
        internationally - within a very limited 'vocabulary' range, but they would
        not pass the "telephone test." And Graffiti font used with Glosa, for that
        matter, would do nothing to make speaking Glosa any easier.

        In all seriousness, just to show that I have not avoided thinking
        about innovative symbology in relation to Glosa, I wwould mention
        SYNTAX. In the task of teaching an Iternational Alternative Language,
        possibly Glosa, to the world, of much greater significance than coming up
        with a better font, is the question of teaching a suitable use of
        syntax. By doing a bit of searching in the stacks at Sydney University, I
        found two elderly books that contained alphanumeric symbol systems for
        demonstrating and teaching the use of syntax.
        Now, although it might be a secret, Glosa has a system of grammar
        that I have described as 'Syntax-based." The Glosa authors' idea was for
        people to use plain, and somewhat standardised, language that followed an
        agreed '''natural''' syntax. There was a problem with this: the authors
        of Glosa had not written down the rules of syntax that Glosa was supposed
        to follow; nor were there any abstract symbols to indicate a syntactical
        statement.
        You guessed it: I settled down to the task of creating a set of
        symbols that could be used to indicate a syntactic sequence ... without
        reference to the words of any language! In short, I selected the
        non-alphanumeric symbols on the keyboard of a standard computer (there's
        about thirty of them), and set about appointing suitable symbols to the
        various syntactic elements.
        EG "The cat ate the canary." might have been shown, . /
        . (thing-action-thing)
        "The cat sat on the mat." . /
        `. (thing-action-preposition-thing)
        "The cat sat on the mat, and ate the canary." . / `. &/
        . (& - conjunction)

        In trying to cover all bases, I had to call on a few alphabetic
        symbols; and, I used different numbers of spaces to indicate junctions
        between phrases, clauses and sentences.
        What was a real hoot was the fact that my amazing innovation was
        completely ignored by everyone. If a language that had 'Syntax-based
        Grammar' was to be taught worldwide, then perhaps there was a need to
        demonstrate, and teach, syntactically-correct usage; and, logically, there
        could be a case for developing a set of suitable, non-verbal symbols to
        demonstrate the use of this 'natural syntax.'
        Well, either I am mad, or the rest of the world is mad. Having put
        twenty years of serious work into promoting Glosa, I have come to the
        conclusion that the concepts on which Glosa is based are ahead of their
        time... and that things might be more amenable next time around. Having
        observed the unsustainable use of resources, a generally blatant disrespect
        for the laws of nature, and the racially suicidal use of materials such as
        Depleted Uranium, I reserve my opinion on the sanity of the human
        race. What hope is there for Glosa, the Graffiti font, syntax symbols, or
        any other promising idea, in a world that appears to be intent on
        self-destruction?

        Actually, If I am concerned about the use of an International
        Auxiliary Language, I ought to - as my brother insists - get with the
        obvious winner, and learn, and promote, Esperanto. The fact that Esperanto
        affixes do not suit the way my brain works is one reason for not taking my
        brother's advice; however, there do really seem to be more urgent problems
        to solve within the human experience, than that of the adoption of a
        universal tongue.

        Mi spe ke homi habe triumfa supra an natura te destru; ko-co, an
        nece gene holo un auxi an pote cepti.

        [I hope that Mankind triumphs over his destructive nature; (but) with
        that, he needs all the help he can get.]

        Saluta,

        Robin Gaskell
      • sydpidd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
          hi marcel
          liked u joko, appealed to the cynic in me - looking at esperanto - comments
          later
          hi don and robin
          interseted in the scripy, i see no reason why glosa shd not be written in
          other scripts arabis etc
          interested in robin#s work on syntax
          follow up later
          sid