Interglossa

  • Gary R Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2010
      David--

      I have never had the chance to read the entire Interglossa book. A
      portion of it is on the Internet at the Ailanto web site.

      I know of no split that occurred between Interglossa and Glosa.
      Interglossa was a dead idea until Ron Clark found the book and contacted
      Hogben, who was then in a wheelchair. About 1975 the idea for Glosa was
      developed.

      Besides the change to a more phonetic spelling, a few words were changed.
      SU is now QI, APO is AB, APO is now a verboid, not a preposition.
      Whereas Hogben preferred the words of Greek origin, Glosa uses more words
      of Latin origin. The tendency to put -O at the end of nouns and -E at
      the end of verboids is gone. Hogben's formulas for sentence order were
      replaced with the simpler SUBJECT-VERB-OBJECT order, with modifiers
      coming before those parts of speech.

      The changes are not so different; I can understand Hogben's earlier
      writings without much difficulty.

      Saluta,
      _ _
      /.
      /\ Gary
      ##
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
        Gary: do you know the present address of Wendy Ashby? or has she died.

        On 24 September 2010 00:15, Gary R Miller <justi.miller@...> wrote:

        > David--
        >
        > I have never had the chance to read the entire Interglossa book. A
        > portion of it is on the Internet at the Ailanto web site.
        >
        > I know of no split that occurred between Interglossa and Glosa.
        > Interglossa was a dead idea until Ron Clark found the book and contacted
        > Hogben, who was then in a wheelchair. About 1975 the idea for Glosa was
        > developed.
        >
        > Besides the change to a more phonetic spelling, a few words were changed.
        > SU is now QI, APO is AB, APO is now a verboid, not a preposition.
        > Whereas Hogben preferred the words of Greek origin, Glosa uses more words
        > of Latin origin. The tendency to put -O at the end of nouns and -E at
        > the end of verboids is gone. Hogben's formulas for sentence order were
        > replaced with the simpler SUBJECT-VERB-OBJECT order, with modifiers
        > coming before those parts of speech.
        >
        > The changes are not so different; I can understand Hogben's earlier
        > writings without much difficulty.
        >
        > Saluta,
        > _ _
        > /.