Re: Ave

  • nick_hempshall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2008
      Hi John

      Yes, the vowels are pure vowels as in Spanish

      The "AW" pronunciation is for the benefit of people
      from the south of England where all our simple vowels
      have come to be pronounced as dipthongs or vowel glides.
      So the closest we get to a pure vowel sound for O is
      this one as in law, cause or thought.

      --- In glosalist@yahoogroups.com, John J Foerch <mebijohn@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just started studying glosa, and I have one comment and one
      > question.
      >
      > The comment is that I started a ##glosa irc channel on freenode, and
      > I would welcome anyone to come and talk about and/or in glosa there
      > to learn with me.
      >
      > The question is about the pronunciation of "O". The tutorial I read
      > contained two conflicting pieces of information--that glosa's vowels
      > sound like the vowels of Spanish, and that "O" is pronounced like
      > English "AW". Pronouncing "O" like "AW" seems awkward an unnatural
      > to me. "O", as in "bone", is perhaps the simplest vowel sound for
      > humans to make. Does glossa truly lack this sound? Why?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > John Foerch

    • John J Foerch
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008