Re: Why do you think this Democratic Committee caller is uniformed on global warming

  • dmgan106
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      This is a curious phenomenon. Many people still think that we found
      weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, or think that Alaska is a
      foreign country. How do you explain that? How about those who think
      the jury is still out on evolution?

      I think GW is dismissed (or maybe welcomed) along with the
      Apocalypse and UFOs.

      GW gets enough press coverage for people to know this is a problem.
      It's not in bold letters on the front page, where I think it should
      be, but it gets reported. Same thing with Charles Duelfer's WMD
      report, but it still doesn't sink in.

      With the population in lalaland it is not surprising to me that
      politicos think this is not an issue.

      That's why I think that a targeted campaign of letter writing to
      elected officials might be effective since then they couldn't claim
      that "no one had ever brought up the topic to her as an issue". In
      something like this it may be more effective to see that respected
      members of the community are worried about this issue and then
      people may start to pay attention to the news reports.

      But we need more than that. We need to participate in grassroots
      political life, go to town meetings, join a political party and
      volunteer for political campaigns.

      The problem is we are running out of time. We don't have twenty
      years to organize a broad grass roots movement. In "Boiling Point",
      Gelbspan says that by 2018 we need to be generating half our energy
      from noncarbon sources in order to keep carbon concentrations below
      560ppm. I think we've missed that boat already.

      --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Neuman" <npat1@j...>
      wrote:

      > To all members,
      >
      > Please post why you think a Democratic National Committee caller
      has
      > not heard much about global warming, and that "no one had ever
      brought
      > up the topic to her as an issue".
      >
      > Excerpt
      >
      > Comment #14
      > Listened to the interview, & am glad at least the British get to
      hear
      > about GW (and we, through this website). I forgot to mention in #5
      > that when I spoke with a Democratic National Committee caller &
      > mentioned GW, she said she had not heard much about it, and no one
      had
      > ever brought up the topic to her as an issue. So I feel that rather
      > than disinformation, we in the U.S. are suffering primarily from
      lack
      > of information or coverage - and at least one friend took that to
      mean
      > that GW had been disproven (since she never heard about it
      anymore).

      > http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=128
      > 28 Feb 2005, Subject: "The Last Word for Now…
      >
      > Pat Neuman
    • John Atkeison
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        Another option is that this is what her script said. Did she claim to be a
        'believer" or might she have been a professional telemarketer? I think
        standard practice is to deflect and minimize anything not in "the script"
        because that way they control the 'conversation.'
        John