Re: Declare Your Independence from DIrty Energy

  • bluridg_fun
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      Good God, I wish I could. our house was built in 1939, and new oil
      furnace was put in sometime inthe 70's, to replace a coal furnace.
      We recently put a lot of $$$ and effort into fixing this system and
      disassembling our broken poorly constructed wood stove.

      I'm finally free from wood heat, the first time in over 20
      years...no fall back breaking wood chore...HURRAY!

      Our house is not constructed to do central air/heat well. Plus, our
      electric is froma coal fired power plant. I'm pretty sure that
      kerosene can be made from corn, squeezed from coal, or made with pig
      manure, but as of this time, it is not generally produced that way.
      Heating fuel is basically kerosene. We'll be paying over a buck 50
      a gallon for the 600+ gallons it takes to get thru your average Blue
      Ridge winter.

      We used to burn over 8 cords of wood. A cord is a stack of split
      firewood that is 4x4x8 feet, 1/3 a cord fits in the back of a chevy
      s-10 or ford ranger truck. You can pile more in, but then the car
      is unsafe to drive on the highway. We used to buy $300 worth of
      pole wood, which became about 6 cords chunked split and stacked. It
      took about 3 weeks of solid 8+ hour days to produce this, plus we'd
      gather the other 2+ cords from construction sites or the woods above
      our home.

      Can you see now why I'm in love with our oil furnace? It also heats
      the home much more evenly. We are much cozier. Some day I'll live
      in a truly modern home with a more energy efficeint system, but
      until then, we do the best we can. Our new front door, window
      reconstructions and 2yr old insulation up in the attic will help.

      My woolie bear caterpillars proclaim a milder winter with early
      spring storms, so maybe we won't burn 600 gallons like last winter.
      Last winter was wickedly cold with weekly snow falls. An unusually
      harsh winter......

      Ya'll keep warm too!

      Kathy