Re: [Global Warming] Yes.....You are wrong...........................................................

  • tarh7777
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 2, 2004
      One group I would not trust with anything is IPCC. They are mainly a
      bunch of ideologues with no concept of what they are doing to the
      world. When you talk to other equally qualified climatologists you
      get the impression that global warming is totally proved and that
      there is NO consensus.

      I presume that you put you pants on the same way that I do. Look
      critically at the data and I think you will agree that there is a way
      to go before one can say that the earth is significantly warming.

      - In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, John Atkeison <john@a...> wrote:
      > At 04:36 PM 12/31/03, tarh7777 wrote:
      > > > Am I wrong in thinking that we finally have consensus among the
      > > > scientific community that there is "no doubt" that we have
      > > > anthropogenic global warming?
      >
      > For at least eight years the consensus has been that there is
      > anthropomorphic warming ;-} and it is important to note _among_whom!
      >
      > Namely, the relevant scientists of the world who were organized
      into the
      > IPCC. They are the opinions that really count. This is not an
      opinion poll,
      > it is science! There were more factors than scientists' natural
      > conservatism in expressing results that makes your question still
      relevant.

      > Unfortunately, the negotiations that resulted in founding the IPCC
      resulted
      > in the inclusion of government representatives, which resulted in
      turn in
      > the inclusion of such charming and disinterested reps as those of
      Saudi
      > Arabia. This meant in practice that the results expressed in the
      reports of
      > the IPCC was watered down and stifled to a significant degree.
      >
      > It is a shame that the US governments - including Al Gore, who
      knows
      > better- has participated in undermining the science from the start.
      The
      > commercial media and corporate PR departments have raised such
      confusion
      > that the actions necessary to ameliorate the effects were blocked.
      >
      > We are in big trouble now, IMHO.
      > This issue made be get active again in the area where the problem
      now lies:
      > politics.
      > Sadly, angrly, and actively,
      > John
      >
      > ___
      > Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. --A.
      J. Liebling
      > John Atkeison
      > A delegate of the GPDE to the National Committee of the Green Party
      of the US
      > john@a... (302) 345-0607 http://GPDe.org/
      > THE GREEN PARTY:
      > Peace, Ecological Wisdom, Grassroots Democracy, Social Justice
    • John Atkeison
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 19, 2004
        >What are the major candidates' positions on climate change? Have any made
        >any specific pledges re. emissions?

        I just realized that I have been paying no attention to this, because I
        expect no better treatment from them than we got from Bush... who promised
        to reduce CO2 during the pre-Supreme Court phase of the 2000 election.

        This is an issue of political power. This power is effective at times &
        places other than the ballot box- in fact, given the choice of candidates
        that The Media chooses to allow to stay on The Island, a la Survivor, we
        may have _more_ power in the streets than in the voting booth at the
        presidential level.

        Forcing Nixon out of office is a good example. He was reelected, thanks in
        no small part to the neglect of the Watergate story _before_ the election,
        especially by the Washington Post (mythology notwithstanding!).
        But I still have banners that I made & carried for the pro-Impeachment
        demonstrations.

        My point is that the political work required for this is effective in a lot
        of places & ways, and to put big hopes on such a tightly controlled process
        as a presidential election is to ask for disappointment.
        IMHO 8-)
        John