World Temperature Second Highest

  • ColoradoKen
    Message 1 of 3962 , Jan 3, 2002
      on record and the trend toward higher mean global
      temperatures looks set to continue, World Meteorological
      Organization (news - web sites) officials said
      Tuesday.<br><br>Compared with the 1961-1990 average used as the basis for
      comparison, officials said the global temperature in 2001
      rose a fraction of a degree Fahrenheit to 57.2
      F.<br><br>It is the 23rd year in succession that temperatures
      have been above the 1961-1990 mean.<br><br>The 2001
      average temperature was second only to 1998 when
      temperatures rose under the impact of La Nina, the sister
      phenomenon to El Nino, both of which are caused by abnormal
      warming of surface water in the Pacific
      Ocean.<br><br>``The expectation is for a continued gradual warming
      for the next years,'' Ken Davidson, director of the
      organization's World Climate Program, told a news
      conference.<br><br>``If you look at the trend, you can see since the
      1980s we have consistently remained above normal, with
      the temperatures continuing to increase slowly. So
      you would anticipate that this trend is most likely
      to continue,'' he said.<br><br>World Meteorological
      Organization officials said the warming trend would be
      accompanied by further cases of extreme weather conditions --
      both flooding and drought as well as sharp temperature
      variations. But it was not possible to predict where the
      weather events would occur.<br><br>They noted the overall
      trend to higher mean temperatures did not mean that
      some parts of the world would not experience extreme
      cold, as happened last winter in
      Russia<br><br>Officials said the rising mean temperature and the
      frequency of extreme climatic conditions, such as the
      devastating drought currently plaguing central Asia, were
      consistent with a pattern of global warming.<br><br>The
      United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
      Change, a body of international scientists, has warned
      that rising emissions of greenhouse gases such as
      carbon dioxide as a result of human activities are at
      least partially responsible for the temperature
      trend.<br><br>Leading industrialized countries, with the exception of
      the United States, are committed under the Kyoto
      Treaty on climate change to limiting emissions of
      greenhouse gases.
    • Salvador Santayana
      Message 3962 of 3962 , Mar 5, 2008
        This group started in 1999 and got its first posting on volcanos in
        2001. BUT you got nothing nada on the underwater volcano that
        erupted or formed off Oregon Coast.

        Let me check if you got anything on NOAA.

        --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, shotsky1 wrote:

        > This is an interesting article which describes
        > the difficulty encountered in recreating a
        > temperature profile over the last century. Of course the
        > temperature profile is how we determine whether, and how
        > much, the global climate is changing. Very interesting
        > reading.<br><br><a
        href=http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/graytemp/surftemp.htm
        target=new>http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/graytemp/surftemp.htm</a><
        br><br>Summary:<br>The records of annual global surface temperature