China redux

  • dmgan106
    Message 1 of 3962 , Dec 1, 2001
      "China Cuts Greenhouse Gases, Contradicting
      U.S.<br>Chinese energy sector reforms have helped reduce the
      country's emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases,
      according to a study released Thursday.<br><br>Economic
      slowdown following the 1997-98 Asian financial crisis also
      may have played a role, said the study published in
      'Science' magazine. <br>China's overall carbon dioxide
      emissions fell by 7.3 percent between 1996 and 2000, and
      its methane emissions declined by 2.2 percent between
      1997 and 2000, it said. <br><br>The findings
      contradicted one of the U.S. administration's main arguments
      against the Kyoto Protocol on climate change.
      commitments for developing countries to reduce their
      greenhouse emissions and thus ensures that China, with its
      ''huge population and endless coal reserves'', would
      surpass the United States as the world's largest source
      of gases blamed for global warming. <br><br>While
      China's emissions have dropped over the past five years,
      those of the United States and other industrialised
      countries have increased, the study
      found.<br><br>Attempting to address global warming, industrialised nations
      hammered out the Kyoto Protocol, in which they pledged to
      reduce their emission by five to seven percent below
      1990 levels by 2012. Under the treaty, developing
      nations, including China, do not have to commit to binding
      emission reduction targets. <br><br>Nevertheless, the
      researchers found, Chinese carbon dioxide emissions produced
      from the combustion of fossil fuels declined by 8.8
      percent from 1996 to 2000 - an even greater reduction
      than the 7.3 percent drop for emissions from all
      sources. <br><br>By contrast, Western Europe increased its
      carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel combustion by
      4.5 percent from 1995 to 1999 and the United States
      increased its emissions by 6.3 percent.<br><br>''These
      reductions, achieved through sweeping energy pricing and
      policy reforms, as well as the promotion of energy
      efficiency (are) equal to the 400 million tons of carbon
      that the U.S. transportation sector emitted last
      year," said Kete. <br><br>China's reversal of past
      forest clearing activities and recent promotion of
      reforestation also have increased the net absorption of carbon
      dioxide by the country's forests over the past decade,
      said the study. <br><br>The findings confirmed Chinese
      government assertions that the nation's greenhouse gas
      emissions had been decreasing, although the reductions were
      smaller than the 17 percent between 1997 and 1999 claimed
      by the state. <br><br>''Our analysis suggests that
      the reductions are real but not as great as
      previously believed,'' said the study. <br><br>While
      acknowledging weaknesses in China's data and noting that the
      government had begun to revise some of its energy
      statistics, the Science study said it did not expect these
      changes would reverse the observed trend in emissions
      reductions."<br><br><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/oneworld/20011129/wl/china_cuts_greenhouse_gases_contradicting_u_s__1.html target=new>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/oneworld/20011129/wl/china_cuts_greenhouse_gases_co
      ntradicting_u_s__1.html</a>
    • Salvador Santayana
      Message 3962 of 3962 , Mar 5, 2008
        This group started in 1999 and got its first posting on volcanos in
        2001. BUT you got nothing nada on the underwater volcano that
        erupted or formed off Oregon Coast.

        Let me check if you got anything on NOAA.

        --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, shotsky1 wrote:

        > This is an interesting article which describes
        > the difficulty encountered in recreating a
        > temperature profile over the last century. Of course the
        > temperature profile is how we determine whether, and how
        > much, the global climate is changing. Very interesting
        > reading.<br><br><a
        href=http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/graytemp/surftemp.htm
        target=new>http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/graytemp/surftemp.htm</a><
        br><br>Summary:<br>The records of annual global surface temperature