Diving deep into ocean data uncovers ‘missing heat’ treasure

  • HappyChopperRecords
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2013
      Ocean warming is speeding up below 700m, where most previous studies haven't been able to reach, say Kevin Trenberth from NCAR and his colleagues, which helps explain current surprisingly slow surface warming, and invalidates simple climate models. Read more at: http://wp.me/pLahN-16L
    • ourphyl
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
        Then, there is always the possibility of hot air --- "...While the Economist referred to some unpublished work, it missed a new paper by Balmaseda et al. (2013) which provides a more in-depth insight. Balmaseda et al suggest that the recent years may not have much effect on the climate sensitivity after all, and according to their analysis, it is the winds blowing over the oceans that may be responsible for the `slow-down' presented in the Economist.

        It is well-known that changes in temperature on decadal time scales are strongly influenced by natural and internal variations, and should not be confused with a long-term trend (Easterling and Wehner, 2009;Foster and Rahmstorf, 2011).

        An intensification of the trades has affected surface ocean currents called the subtropical gyres, and these changes have resulted in a predominance of the La Nina state. The La Nina phase is associated with a lower global mean temperature than usual..."

        http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=15062

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2013
          Yes, I think this is mentioned in my blog entry: "Subtropical trade winds have become noticeably stronger, thereby increasing the subtropical overturning in the ocean and providing a mechanism for heat to be carried downwards."