Re: New member

  • HappyChopperRecords
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hi Sylvia,

      Welcome to the group. Afraid you may just see a lot of posts from me! Interested to hear that the water level where you are is 30cm higher than 100 years ago. Can you link to any records showing that?

      Would you like to share with the group how else you're seeing global warming where you are?

      Cheers,
      Andy

      --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "csras2002" wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I have just joined your group.
      >
      > I live in New Zealand, two long islands South East of Australia. I will be very interested to read the posts on Global Warming. We are certainly feeling its effects here.
      >
      > God bless
      > Sylvia
      >
      > --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "HappyChopperRecords" wrote:
      > >
      > > With farming producing up to one-third of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions, and more people wanting more meat, agricultural research faces big challenges to avoid us having to make more difficult choices about what we eat. Read more at: http://wp.me/pLahN-12j

    • csras2002
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hi Andy

        Whereabouts in the world are you? Are people aware of climate change where you are? I think many New Zealanders are still head in the sand on this one, despite sites such as this:
        http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=17413

        As for the water level being 30cm higher here than 100 years ago, most sites say it only 20cm http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK1207/S00224/wellington-highest-rate-of-sea-level-rise-in-nz.htm

        So I'm beginning to wonder if the 30cm is just local talk due to the fact that when you get spring tides, storm surges or storm tides, the tide is so much higher than it used to get. By that I mean that some areas now have drainage problems and houses and roads flood.

        What is the sea level rise in your part of the world?

        love and blessings

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2013
          Yes, 20cm is closer to what I'd expect - that's what the UK government reports - see (PDF):
          http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/POST-PN-363.pdf

          As for "people being aware of climate change" - awareness is a good question. Some of the most important surveys on the topic - the Yale/George Mason Six Americas report - show quite a lot of people don't think about climate change.

          http://environment.yale.edu/climate/files/Six-Americas-March-2012.pdf

          But when you ask a different question - whether you think it's happening - people usually have an answer, so most people probably do know about it to some degree.

          I don't think there's an equivalent of that survey in the UK, but I doubt things are much different to the US.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
            Hi

            An interesting article from one of our papers:

            http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10859781

            love and blessings
            Sylvia

            --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "HappyChopperRecords" wrote:

            > Yes, 20cm is closer to what I'd expect - that's what the UK government reports - see (PDF):
            > http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/POST-PN-363.pdf
            >
            > As for "people being aware of climate change" - awareness is a good question. Some of the most important surveys on the topic - the Yale/George Mason Six Americas report - show quite a lot of people don't think about climate change.
            >
            > http://environment.yale.edu/climate/files/Six-Americas-March-2012.pdf
            >
            > But when you ask a different question - whether you think it's happening - people usually have an answer, so most people probably do know about it to some degree.
            >
            > I don't think there's an equivalent of that survey in the UK, but I doubt things are much different to the US.
            >
            > --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "csras2002" wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Andy
            > >
            > > Whereabouts in the world are you? Are people aware of climate change where you are? I think many New Zealanders are still head in the sand on this one, despite sites such as this:
            > > http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=17413
            > >
            > > As for the water level being 30cm higher here than 100 years ago, most sites say it only 20cm http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK1207/S00224/wellington-highest-rate-of-sea-level-rise-in-nz.htm
            > >
            > > So I'm beginning to wonder if the 30cm is just local talk due to the fact that when you get spring tides, storm surges or storm tides, the tide is so much higher than it used to get. By that I mean that some areas now have drainage problems and houses and roads flood.
            > >
            > > What is the sea level rise in your part of the world?
            > >
            > > love and blessings
            > > Sylvia
            > >

            > > --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "HappyChopperRecords" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Sylvia,
            > > >
            > > > Welcome to the group. Afraid you may just see a lot of posts from me! Interested to hear that the water level where you are is 30cm higher than 100 years ago. Can you link to any records showing that?
            > > >
            > > > Would you like to share with the group how else you're seeing global warming where you are?
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > > Andy

          • Thomas Bernie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
              Depends upon where you live. http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/brrrrrrrr-last-year-coldest-three-decades-anchorage

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2013
                Hi there - :-) - you are right. I hear the slowing down of the Gulf Stream is to blame for the recent cold snaps in the North?