Solar spectrum and forcing

  • poitsplace
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2009
      http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/images/sunbathing/sunspectrum.htm
      <http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/images/sunbathing/sunspectrum.htm>

      Excuse me but doesn't this indicate that a large portion of the sun's
      spectrum goes through significant variation over the course of the solar
      cycle even though the overall output is relatively constant? It's
      probably several W/m2 when you consider that all of that additional UV
      is absorbed. Also, it turns out that the "normal" variation of the sun
      (about .1%) has dropped a bit more (about .13% lower than the maximum
      and possibly still dropping. I have to wonder if perhaps there's an
      additional 30% change in the UV to go along with it.