Re: When is this massive hurricane season supposed to begin????

  • lasallia
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
      The Pacific Ocean is having a ripsnorter of a hurricane season. I
      still don't see signs of the predicted ENSO event in the SSTs.

      Sal

      --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, tarh7777 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I was being saracastic, Steve trying to show how imprecise weather
      > forecasting can be. And I really disagree with one of your
      > statements that this summer was the hottest on record for the
      U.S.
      > Did you calculate that or did you get it from the media? Also,
      last
      > year was plenty hot and there was no lack of hurricanes.
      > One of these days the data is going to consistantly agree with the
      > theory.
      > Also, I have been away for the summer, up in Yankeeland, and the
      > temperature was very nice.
      >
      > --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hollingsworth"
      > <steveh_19@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I think I've posted this twice before. This year, the easterly
      > winds
      > > have been extremely strong, thus literally blowing the tops off
      of
      > > storms before they could coalesce into hurricanes. However,
      these
      > same
      > > strong winds kept the Jet Stream up north, thus resulting in the
      > period
      > > January through August being the hottest on record for the U.S.
      > >
      > > The winds apparently mooderateded in late August and September,
      > > resulting in two tropical storms and three hurricanes since
      August
      > > 21st. (We here in the Northeast appreciated the cooling off
      that
      > > resulted from the change!)
      > >
      > > . . . . . . Steve H.
      > >

      > > --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, tarh7777 wrote:
      > > >
      > > > About six months ago, due to increased sea temperaures, there
      is
      > > supposed to be a severe hurricane season this year. Did I miss
      it
      > or
      > > when is it supposed to start?

    • lasallia
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
        Ross, environmental data rarely, if ever, consistently agrees with
        anything. If data of any kind behaved that well we wouldn't need such
        crazy statistical tests.

        The days record that was set in North Texas in 1998 was broken on
        Saturday. 30th September and 95 degrees. Another week in the 90's to
        come. On what basis do you disagree with the heat record. Your
        personal experience in the northern states?

        Regards, and nice to see you back here again.

        Sal

        > I was being saracastic, Steve trying to show how imprecise weather
        > forecasting can be. And I really disagree with one of your
        > statements that this summer was the hottest on record for the U.S.
        Did you calculate that or did you get it from the media? Also, last
        > year was plenty hot and there was no lack of hurricanes.
        > One of these days the data is going to consistantly agree with the
        > theory.
        > Also, I have been away for the summer, up in Yankeeland, and the
        > temperature was very nice.

      • wayne
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
          You all think Texas is so hot... It was 97 deg. F in Wichita, Kansas
          yesterday, breaking an all time record with more to come. Hey it's
          October, where is the frost?

          LWB

          lasallia wrote:

          > Ross, environmental data rarely, if ever, consistently agrees with
          > anything. If data of any kind behaved that well we wouldn't need such
          > crazy statistical tests.
          >
          > The days record that was set in North Texas in 1998 was broken on
          > Saturday. 30th September and 95 degrees. Another week in the 90's to
          > come. On what basis do you disagree with the heat record. Your
          > personal experience in the northern states?
          >
          > Regards, and nice to see you back here again.
          >
          > Sal
          >

          > > I was being saracastic, Steve trying to show how imprecise weather
          > > forecasting can be. And I really disagree with one of your
          > > statements that this summer was the hottest on record for the U.S.
          > Did you calculate that or did you get it from the media? Also, last
          > > year was plenty hot and there was no lack of hurricanes.
          > > One of these days the data is going to consistantly agree with the
          > > theory.
          > > Also, I have been away for the summer, up in Yankeeland, and the
          > > temperature was very nice.

        • Steve Hollingsworth
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
            It took only a couple of minutes to find these sources.

            First half of 2006 warmest on record in U.S.:
            January-June
            http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13860976/
            "January through June was the warmest first half of any year in the
            continental United States since records began in 1895, U.S. government
            scientists reported Friday."

            Second hottest summer on record:
            June-August
            http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/2006-09-13-hottest-summer_x.htm
            "The USA sweated this year through its hottest summer in 70 years, with
            temperatures not seen since the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, according to a
            government report."

            In both cases the sources are [U.S.] government scientists. (In
            particular, Dennis Feltgen, a meteorologist with the National Oceanic
            and Atmospheric Administration, says www.cnsnews.com )

            Also NOAA's http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2700.htm confirms
            both statements.

            A comment to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/09/20/meltdown-ice-
            cracks-at-n_n_29880.html said:
            "NASA research shows that not only is the Arctic sea ice melting, it's
            melting at an accelerating rate, and it's melting more than usual in
            winter, and that the summer melt is going on for a longer period.

            Other research shows that the summer of 2006 was the second hottest on
            record in the US, that the first eight months of 2006 were the hottest
            on record in the US, and the first eight months of 2006 have been the
            hottest on record worldwide."

            [There were many more sources, but why bother.]
          • tarh7777
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
              My only request is that whoever says things as you said is that they
              be honest with us. I got 1998 as a very hot year but not a record.
              My data goes back to 1906....How far back does it go for Denton? No
              idea and it was not given. And these statements that this is the
              warmest period on record send me up a wall. Were these data points
              checked to be sure they were valid..no stations that were well
              located x years ago but have a city grow up around them. We don't
              know a damned thing about them and so I will continue to belittle and
              mistrust them.
              While I was in New Hampshire this summer, I hiked the last few
              hundred yards of the Appalachain Trail. Note that I did not say that
              I hiked the whole thing. Actually I didn't not even a quarter of a
              mile of it but I did finish it. It was just the first part that I
              didn't do.

              --- In globalwarming@yahoogroups.com, lasallia <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Ross, environmental data rarely, if ever, consistently agrees with
              > anything. If data of any kind behaved that well we wouldn't need
              such
              > crazy statistical tests.
              >
              > The days record that was set in North Texas in 1998 was broken on
              > Saturday. 30th September and 95 degrees. Another week in the 90's
              > come. On what basis do you disagree with the heat record. Your
              > personal experience in the northern states?
              >
              > Regards, and nice to see you back here again.
              >
              > Sal
              >

              > > I was being saracastic, Steve trying to show how imprecise
              weather
              > > forecasting can be. And I really disagree with one of your
              > > statements that this summer was the hottest on record for the
              U.S.
              > Did you calculate that or did you get it from the media? Also,
              last
              > > year was plenty hot and there was no lack of hurricanes.
              > > One of these days the data is going to consistantly agree with
              the
              > > theory.
              > > Also, I have been away for the summer, up in Yankeeland, and the
              > > temperature was very nice.

            • lasallia
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                Ross,

                Globally 1998 was the record year. There was an ENSO event and if
                you google 1998 and temperature record you will see how many sources
                tell of it. I don't know how far it goes back for Denton. The data
                points are adjusted for heat island effect, Ross, as you should know.