Endorsement of a revolutionary proposal

  • Franz Nahrada
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2008
      (most of receivers in BCC to prevent unintended replyfloods)

      Marcin Jakubowski of Open Source Ecology wrote today:

      "I published the OSE CEB proposal v0.1. It deserves some attention. Can
      you pump it up through your networks?
      There is some hard-core, breakthrough rocket fuel for global
      transformation in that humble 4-pager, if one can see through it:
      http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=379"

      I read through the proposal and I got really, really astounded.
      Marcin was absolutely right.

      This is the first blueprint ever of community supported manufacturing
      that I seriously encountered - and it is a bomb!

      Many synapses clicked in my head. I saw the relations with
      Frithjof Bergmanns New Work concept - but in an entirely
      different new light - and I saw the immediate relevance
      to connect with Mohammad Yunus social enterprise concept.
      And I suddenly saw the possibility to solve the problem
      how p2p production rises to the level of serious manufacturing
      world-class products.

      A social entreprise is an enterprise that works at zero profit,
      re-investing possible gains or rather bringing down the market
      price to the cost price. It has no profit motive, this is where
      the need for a mission or task comes in to fill the void.

      Such an enterprise is not a corporation, but is based on a
      constitution, on democratic control of its shareholders which
      equal users and stakeholders in absence of dividends on shares.

      No interests or license fees to pay. With special licenses community
      supported manufacturing plants could be privileged against
      for-profit plants. The could keep workers rights alive AND deliver
      superior products, supported by the brainpower of global developer
      communities. New Work would NOT ONLY work in decentralized
      production cafes, but also in large industrial plants - and the two
      worlds would be intrinsically linked.

      Recently I attacked frithjof for his intention to create
      New Work Enterprises as a commercial venture. But here is
      a valid alternative: a community share system to build
      up large operations.

      I began to toss the thought in my head what would be the
      economic development of such a share without dividends;
      that it could absorb extra savings and still provide some
      economic security within the monetary system because it
      could still hold some value and hence be sold on need.

      A p2p stock exchange would be a living possibility. Value
      would be determined by community need and identification with
      the product. Stockholding could mean some privileges,
      but not the dirty ones.

      So I follow Marcins proposal with conviction. Here is the
      direct link to the file and a then text transcript for those who
      are too lazy to download it:

      http://openfarmtech.org/OSE_CEB_Proposal.doc

      Franz Nahrada

      CEB Open Business Plan – Community Supported Manufacturing
      Joseph.dolittle@... - 10.25.08 – v0.1

      Abstract: Herein we provide a short overview of the Open Source Ecology
      (OSE) enterprise development model and deployment plan. The plan is for
      Community Supported Manufacturing (CSM) of a high performance, open
      source, Compressed Earth Block (CEB) press – The Liberator – by end of
      March, 2009. This is OSE’s first product release. We propose an innovative
      economic model, with replicability as one of its key features.

      Introduction

      What is our CSM model? It is a collaborative, open source, replicable,
      risk-sharing model of production where:
      (1) You (large amount of people or stakeholders) participate in and pay
      for the development process and fabrication facility
      (2) You get a product at cost
      (3) We (Open Source Ecology facilities) perform the development work, up
      to the building of a fabrication facility.
      (4) We provide training and support for any fabricator interested in
      replicating the enterprise
      (5) We operate an enterprise ourselves for purposes of direct business
      model testing
      (6) We put all earnings into further open source research and development

      Value Proposition

      We are offering:
      (1) a high performance CEB press (3-5 bricks per minute production)
      (2) CSM production model
      (3) Low cost (about $5k), or about $20k less than the competition

      Goals by March, 2009

      (1) Off-grid fabrication facility
      (2) Robust and flexible production capacity of 4 machines per week
      (3) Replicability of above
      a. Documentation
      i. Fabrication procedure
      ii. Machine operation and construction techniques
      iii. Open business model
      b. Development of supporting, open source equipment
      i. CEB machine itself for building the production facility
      ii. Swingblade sawmill, also for facility construction
      iii. Computer controlled XYZ oxy-acetylene/plasma torch table for
      preparing and cutting metal
      iv. Steel casting ability for structural members (if resources allow)
      v. Control electronics fabrication for XYZ table (if resources allow)

      Basic Program

      The basic program consists of developing, testing, and neocommercializing
      the following open source equipment by end of March:
      1. CEB machine itself for building the production facility
      2. Swing-blade sawmill, also for facility construction
      3. Computer controlled XYZ oxy-acetylene/plasma torch table for preparing
      and cutting metal
      The budget for the basic program is on the order of $3-6k per month.

      Extended Program

      Progress beyond the basic program depends on the level of crowd funding
      and other support received. Each month’s funding cycle description will
      contain a basic and accelerated funding proposition. If resources allow,
      we will achieve these milestones by end of March:
      4. Steel casting ability for structural members related to the CEB press
      5. Metal casting for a steam engine, towards: off-grid facility electrical
      power; LifeTrac power source; and Solar Turbine electrical power
      6. Babington flash steam generator for steam engine as backup power
      7. Control electronics fabrication capacity for XYZ torch table,
      consisting of a precise, computer controlled router
      8. Deployment of RepRap for mold-making, applied to metal casting

      These milestones contribute to a deeper product ecology surrounding the
      CEB press. The budget for the extended program is on the order of $6-9k
      per month.

      Product Ecology

      Our present, basic product ecology - of which the CEB machine is a part –
      is the following:

      This package provides a large fraction of infrastructure for building
      Global Villages. Indeed, it is capable of providing 100% of high quality
      food, fuel, energy, and housing needs for a local population – based on
      local resources. It includes a fabrication aspect – through advanced
      digital fabrication techniques. Combined with plant and animal genetic
      stock – the entire package is self-replicating It also has the capacity to
      span just about all of physical production, as embodied in the broad
      fields of agro-ecology and flexible fabrication. The relevant scale of
      human organization stemming from this infrastructure is from a single
      family to a large village. Implications of this package for regenerative
      development and economic transformation are profound.

      Certain details of this package may change. At present, OSE considers this
      to be the most simple, multipurpose, robust, and ecological technology
      base - which provides the largest range of services with the least amount
      of tools.

      Seeking Collaborators

      We are looking for:
      (1) Investors
      (2) Funders, benefactors, and grants
      (3) On-line donations
      (4) On-site development and engineering support
      (5) Flexible fabrication trainees to staff CEB production after March
      (6) Publicity people for promoting this work
      (7) Interested end-users for preorders

      Basic Funding Strategy

      The basic mechanism for contributing, outside of contacting the
      development team (joseph.dolittle@...) is a PayPal donation site,
      http://openfarmtech.org/support.html. The donation page also contains
      instructions for donating by mail.

      We are employing a Product Release Fund. This means that full
      documentation for DIY builders will be released after a quota is reached.
      We are setting this quota at $20,000 – the value proposition described
      above – as means to address the freeloader dilemma and as a means to
      provide additional fuel to OSE research. All of this money will go to
      further project development. Collection of the Product Release Fund will
      begin after March. Donors who contribute $50 or more prior to April, 2009,
      will receive early release documentation – full documentation that is
      slated for release after production begins at OSE facilities. We feel that
      anyone who is really interested in building their own machine will see
      this $50 investment as well worth its cost – and the money goes toward
      actual product development. Those who are interested in a turnkey machine
      may purchase one from us, at an estimated price of $5k.

      We also have a reward structure for Angel Investors – those people who
      contribute $1000 or more to the project. These people are entitled to a
      one-time $1000 discount from their cost of a CEB machine, if they decide
      to purchase one from us.

      Collaboration and What You Can Do

      These are the general tasks that are to be performed for product release:
      (1) Technical development of torch table, additional prototypes of the
      Liberator, further field testing, and construction of fabrication facility
      (2) Recruit fabricators-in-training for the CEB machine
      (3) Continue crowd funding and resource development
      (4) Recruit engineering support
      (5) Publish multimedia and technical documentation
      (6) Publicize this work to stakeholders
      (7) Collect preorders for the CEB machine, with $2k down payment

      What you can do:
      (1) Circulate this proposal, blog about it, put up a funding button on
      your website on our behalf
      (2) Donate to this work at http://openfarmtech.org/support.html
      (3) Contribute content online at
      http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=CEB_Proposal
      (4) Seek engineers, builders, and others for technical and economic review
      (5) Come to Factor e Farm to do development and engineering support
      (6) For students – engage in in-service learning projects at Factor e
      Farm, with a recommended stay of 1 month
      (7) Become a fabricator for CEB machines at Factor e Farm
      (8) Contact stakeholders for donations, engineering support
      (9) Help with field testing of the Liberator in another location – needs
      to be in a warm climate, and must have access to earth-moving equipment