Update on Pattern Languages

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2006
      I overview our Minciu Sodas lab's activity with special focus on
      "pattern languages".

      I am very happy to see all the deep thinking and fruitful action at our
      Minciu Sodas laboratory's many groups. I have been working on our
      website http://www.ms.lt to help us overview it all. You can now sort
      the latest activity by language, venue, thinker, topic and action. If
      you select a thinker you may see a photo and perhaps their key concept
      and investigatory question. We're drawing this data from the ProWiki
      which Helmut Leitner has customized for us at
      http://www.ourculture.info The idea is that we can all maintain our own
      data or help each other to do so. Also, I am tagging our letters at
      http://del.icio.us/AndriusKulikauskas and if you'd like to help with
      tagging, please let me know! We're also setting up subwikis such as
      http://w.ms.lt (just one w!) and if you'd like it's not too hard for me
      to set one up, for example, for http://w.onevillagefoundation.org or any
      domain you might have. That's a special offer for projects in the
      Ethical Public Domain.

      I want to update us on various ways how "pattern languages" are
      important for our laboratory's work this year. "Pattern languages" are
      a methodology for constructing buildings that are "alive", and more
      generally, systems that are alive, organic, whole, free, human.
      Architect Christopher Alexander is the founder of this school of thinking.

      Nikos Salingaros is the author of a new book, "A Theory of
      Architecture", published by http://www.umbau-verlag.com and coming out
      in August, which pursues these ideas from new angles that reflect his
      insights as a mathematician, physicist and urbanist, as well as editor
      of Christopher Alexander's four volume "The Nature of Order". I
      engaged Nikos last fall and since then he has hired our lab to promote
      his books and do public relations for the pattern language movement. I
      appreciate this fantastic opportunity and Nikos's encouragement to
      organize all who care about pattern languages through our lab. Indeed,
      this is a great way to build our assets and there are many business
      opportunities. Nikos is in Texas but I was able to meet with him this
      summer in Belgium. He's happy with our work so far and hired our lab to
      continue, a total of 950 EUR so far, which endows our efforts with
      gravity and energy.

      I have started tagging our letters related to "pattern languages", see:
      http://www.ms.lt/?topic=PatternLanguages
      And I need to bring in more letters from our discussion at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalvillages/

      Perhaps the most exciting possibility so far is with Alan Heeks in
      Dorset County, in England not far from Wales, who I met by way Paul
      Benham and John Rogers. Alan is starting an eco-village and he's
      interested in how we might help lay it out using pattern languages.
      It's especially attractive to him that architect Nikos Karidis in Bath
      is keen to participate. I'm excited that Alan's use of organic farming
      as a metaphor for managing personal energy (as in his book "The Natural
      Advantage") is quite compatible with a pattern language approach. I
      spoke with Alan and he said that everything is postponed for three or
      four months because they are facing difficulty getting permissions from
      the regional authority and so they will look for new sites throughout
      south England. I said that I think our lab might be very good at
      helping to find potential places and attracting people who'd like to
      live there. So I plan to write another small proposal in a few weeks.
      You can see my proposal, along with other proposals, at:
      http://www.ms.lt/?action=Proposal

      I also mentioned Jeff Buderer http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=jeff+buderer
      because he's keen to find an ecovillage to live in and perhaps he'd be
      interested in living in the south of England. I'm very interested that
      we work for Jeff as he pursues his dream. I think it's very helpful to
      document his personal decision making process. Indeed, I think that is
      an important part of the "pattern language" dynamics but one that is
      underdeveloped.

      I'm excited that Nikos is writing about a pattern language for social
      housing in Latin America and elsewhere. I hope to share my ideas soon,
      it is too late today. My basic idea is that pattern languages is a
      theory for "low energy" modes of life that are important especially for
      older people and others who want a simpler life, and who are focused on
      "recurring activity", but there is also a need for a related theory for
      "high energy" people, such as youth, who often have enough energy to
      waste, and can be interested in always being original, and are often
      excited to build new things in new ways. Social housing brings home the
      fact that often it makes all the difference if people feel that their
      environment is only for a certain while and that they will move up and
      out. Generally, given the choice, people prefer to have extra energy
      (or money, etc.) and are willing to live a harder life for that, then to
      live with diminished energy (or money) but live an easier life. So that
      means that often we're not in tune with what makes us feel most whole,
      which I think is much more clear to us when we are in a low energy
      state. I want to think about this and hopefully write more
      intelligently and relevantly about this. Also, various thoughts on
      village layout might be relevant for social housing.

      I spoke with Steve Cayzer of Hewlett-Packard about my other proposal on
      making a conceptual map of our "key concepts", our deepest values in
      life which we've been collecting and sharing. I told him that I think
      we can relate it to "semantic photos" so I will think about that. Also,
      Raimundas Vaitkevicius who is an experienced consultant of statistics
      for psychologists will do two analyses for me of our current data, one
      in terms of clusters (what is close to what?) and one in terms of
      factors (how many dimensions?)

      I am keen to work on the pattern languages because I think that this
      approach is very natural if we are to collect first hand accounts as to
      what works in all manners of domain (community currency, global
      villages, leadership development, etc.) In general, I want to develop
      an online learning environment based on that.

      I also want to connect with some related fields and also encourage
      internal dialogue within the pattern language movement because as
      Nikos's books show, there is a lot of room for developing these ideas
      further. I look forward to contacting Bill Hillier of Space Syntax
      http://www.spacesyntax.com http://www.spacesyntax.org and also Sarah
      Susanka http://www.notsobighouse.com who has written bestselling books
      about patterns for homebuilders.

      I need to connect with the Silicon Valley crowd which is quite
      knowledgeable of Christopher Alexander's work as it has lead to software
      "design patterns" and even gave rise to the first wiki! which was
      created as a "pattern repository".

      Collecting patterns is a natural activity in New Craft, a German
      language movement for which we've set up a working group led by
      Christine Ax. Also, there is I think enormous business opportunity in
      creating a repository for New Energy, especially passive energy saving
      approaches for buildings. The trick is to connect solutions with how
      well they strengthen a person's sense of being whole.

      I also want to do some straightforward marketing of Nikos's books. We
      can experiment to see what works. We have set up, thanks to Helmut
      Leitner: http://www.patternlanguages.info/wiki.cgi?Books

      "Pattern languages" are a school of thought with a lot of deep ideas.
      This is very much the kind of field that I want to invest our lab in.
      Another example, thanks to John Rogers, is Robert E. Horn's "Visual
      Language" http://www.stanford.edu/~rhorn/ I just finished reading that
      book and it is quite remarkable. Certainly, it would be great to work
      for him.

      I'm trying to put in order the deep foundations for our lab. My
      financial situation is improved, thanks to more help from my parents.
      So that means that I can focus on who would be the best people to work
      for, and the best ideas to invest in.

      There are so many things going on at our lab that it's overwhelming for
      me or anybody to respond everywhere. For example, I see our LovingGod
      working group blooming with exchanges between Benoit Couture and Lucia
      Ramsonius, see: http://www.ms.lt/?venue=LG or the "kind words" at
      http://www.ms.lt/?action=KindWords

      There is so many ways that we can help each other. I hope that we might
      start to look at our lists at:
      http://www.ms.lt/?action=RequestForHelp
      http://www.ms.lt/?action=OfferToHelp
      and respond to each other, for example Kevin Parcell is seeking funding
      to present his Birdshot proposal at the UN, Benoit Couture is exploring
      how we might work with Helen Mahoo in Tanzania, and Wendi and Njua in
      Cameroon would like to have an Internet access center.

      Also, we have quite a few newcomers writing - I am very grateful! - and
      I wish that we might respond to their letters and welcome them, such as
      Paul Prueitt (hi!) or Gavin D.J. Harper, Esq. who wrote about "Chocolate
      as Biofuel" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalvillages/message/1418
      or Derick Odemba who is returning to Kenya (near Samwel Kongere and
      Kennedy Onyango)
      Charles from Uganda (thank you for writing!)
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Loku%20Charles There is important discussion
      at Loving God on peace and the Middle East which perhaps Benoit or
      somebody might bring to Eluned Hurn's "fighting peacefully" working
      group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fightingpeacefully/ And Terry
      Mace and Jon Cousins have been writing about timebanks, their
      sustainability and viability
      http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/cyfranogi/message/1731 Welcome to
      all! And I invite our help to respond and also to engage some of our
      colleagues such as Sahar Maranlou in Iran
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=sahar+maranlou who have written quite a few
      letters and we should get to know better!

      All of this to say that our lab is for me a learning activity and I hope
      it is for you, too! And a workspace for your independent thinking.

      Peace,

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Paul S Prueitt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2006
        i would not say that a specific person was the founder of the pattern language school.

        ?

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/holistiche lping/message/ 175 or Loku