Re: [globalvillages] processes of renewal and transformation - Note to Joy

  • Franz Nahrada
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18 11:53 PM
      Paul Prueitt writes:

      >And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed villages (in
      >different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
      >movement of information is instant (even though now controled by
      >confusion)
      >and the movement of commodity can be made using just in time ordering and
      >process models.

      I just had an interesting and enlightening dream. In the dream, women from
      a rural village were "fabricating" a plastic container for washing clothes
      from a non-toxic (phytoplastic) raw material. They designed the form on a
      computer with the help of a free CAD program, and they sent the design to
      a factory that made the physical forms for them. So they could without
      much effort repeatedly "bake" the objects they wished, and have them
      shaped according to their old needs and traditions.

      What I saw in that dream: the fact that villages are connected and able to
      define their needs simultaneously enables industries for the first time to
      react to them as mass needs. The communication aspect is directly tied
      into an aspect of economic transformation, where we will have more and
      more sophisticated decentralized means of production (semi customized by
      industries) locally and thus even decommodification (of the end objects).
      This comes with the interplay of urban industries and villages. This
      relation simply could not exist before.

      So Global Villages, just by their simple fact of connectedness, will be a
      vast economic force. They might be able absorb lots of the urban
      overpopulation again and might be able create a healthy urban and rural
      circumstance.

      I see this also as an answer to Stanko and as a reason why I think Global
      Villages is a vision of its own right that includes aspects of
      ecovillages, but also makes positive use of information exchange.

      Franz
    • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19 12:53 AM
        Paul S Prueitt wrote
        > And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed
        > villages (in different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
        > movement of information is instant (even though now controled by
        > confusion)and the movement of commodity can be made using just
        > in time ordering and process models.

        Just two small comments:

        I guess "just in time" may mean many different things. If it means I'm dependant on the global supply network to work seamlessly if I want to have food on my table today, then it's dangerous, as those who have thought about a worldwide simultaneous flu pandemic (yes, I know "pan" means "whole world", but just wanted to insist a bit) think would be.

        I like the "controlled by confusion" concept. Information does have negative feedback mechanisms because it can't possibly be "instant". I'll try to keep it in mind. Thanks.

        Lucas
      • Paul S Prueitt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19 3:55 PM
          Franz

          I am coping your email to some in the bcc, so that if they choose they can join the global villages eforum and walk through these issues. slowly.  We are all respecting how much time it takes to compose progressive emails.

          Your dream is my dream.  (see below)

          The fact is that we are allowed, now and soon, to have profound global information transparency and information security at a level that is hidden by polemic structure, such as the notion that just-in-time small scale (high value) distribution of products around the globe is risky.  It is the future.  The path is an easy path, except for those whose concepts hold us back.  (My opinion)

          The future can only be feared but not stopped from being real.  The fear often creates confusion and confusion creates the damage.

          What gives way is the type of capitalism in the extreme practiced now, like the fall of communism, this type of pure capitalism must surely fall, and be displaced by something that treats non-locality with respect.  In many ways we are not far from a historical correction of capitalism.  So the parallel to the fall of communism is weak.  Many authors have writing about the stages of capitalism.

          My groups worked on these concepts in the treads at:

          the Micro-Farm ecosystem and Rural American Safe-Net   bead threads

          if one take the time to move through these "beads" you can see the opposition to such concepts as being memetic in nature, ie not willing to allow certain assumptions to be questioned.  We need clarity.

          However, the time is really changed in 2006, and many of us are seeing local efforts like the one that Joy is doing in Oregon State.

          >And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed villages (in
          >different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
          >movement of information is instant (even though now controled by
          >confusion)
          >and the movement of commodity can be made using just in time ordering and
          >process models.

          I just had an interesting and enlightening dream. In the dream, women from
          a rural village were "fabricating" a plastic container for washing clothes
          from a non-toxic (phytoplastic) raw material. They designed the form on a
          computer with the help of a free CAD program, and they sent the design to
          a factory that made the physical forms for them. So they could without
          much effort repeatedly "bake" the objects they wished, and have them
          shaped according to their old needs and traditions.

          What I saw in that dream: the fact that villages are connected and able to
          define their needs simultaneously enables industries for the first time to
          react to them as mass needs. The communication aspect is directly tied
          into an aspect of economic transformation, where we will have more and
          more sophisticated decentralized means of production (semi customized by
          industries) locally and thus even decommodification (of the end objects).
          This comes with the interplay of urban industries and villages. This
          relation simply could not exist before.

          So Global Villages, just by their simple fact of connectedness, will be a
          vast economic force. They might be able absorb lots of the urban
          overpopulation again and might be able create a healthy urban and rural
          circumstance.

          I see this also as an answer to Stanko and as a reason why I think Global
          Villages is a vision of its own right that includes aspects of
          ecovillages, but also makes positive use of information exchange.

          Franz

        • Jeff Buderer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22 9:39 AM
            Paul,

            Thanks for your comments.

            Joy may not be able to respond immediately as she is currently traveling
            but we are very interested in considering how your work might relate to
            what we are trying to do in both the US and Africa.

            By the way, I spent about a month a Taos several years ago working on a
            addition to a Earth Ship http://www.earthship.org/ in the main project
            north of town on "the Mesa" involving straw bale construction techniques.

            I look forward to hearing more.

            Jeff

          • markus petz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28 6:38 AM
              I feel some people should spend MORE TIME composing
              progressive emails. I speak English well and Paul I
              have found it hard to follow your email below (not coz
              I am stupid).

              A tip for being accessible is try writting the same
              stuff in a second language and then just the ideas are
              communicated and not the big words that a make it hard
              to understand especially for someone speaking English
              as foreign language. the bead suite does offer some
              useful things, but is hard to navigate.

              Anyway I am not writtingto bitch about presentation,
              but rather to explore some of the points you raise
              below:

              So please read B&B
              in openness & friendship
              markus

              --- Paul S Prueitt <psp@...> schrieb:

              > Franz
              >
              > I am coping your email to some in the bcc, so that
              > if they choose they can
              > join the global villages eforum and walk through
              > these issues. slowly. We
              > are all respecting how much time it takes to compose
              > progressive emails.
              >
              > Your dream is my dream. (see below)
              >
              > The fact is that we are allowed

              I agree we are allowed in so far as we can make stuff
              happen. I think this is a critical mass. Enough peoepl
              and understanding of how MS is building a culture will
              make thsi come true. buit we must also make sure we
              communicate to others who make stop us being allowed.
              FOr example Dante and I have been exploring through
              living the concept of Nomadology. Now in Europe we can
              do this because Schengen lets us go across borders,
              and it legal to hitch-hike. wheras in the americas
              crossing the Mexican border can prove difficult for
              example and hitch-hiking is made illegal in some
              states. So there it isnot allowed. There are other
              legal aspects that have made it harder to just live in
              alternative ways.

              , now and soon, to
              > have profound global
              > information transparency

              we are getting htias coz the internet allows info to
              flow. the church can't surpress it as it once did,
              although there are laws and corporations challenging
              it.

              and information security at
              > a level that is hidden
              > by polemic structure

              Now I did not knwo what polemic structure meant so I
              found this

              http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0002650

              whcih gives soem useful cultural aspects revealing it.

              and for those not knowinhg

              "Etymology: French polémique, from Middle French, from
              polemique controversial, from Greek polemikos warlike,
              hostile, from polemos war; perhaps akin to Greek
              pelemizein to shake, Old English ealfelo baleful
              1 a : an aggressive attack on or refutation of the
              opinions or principles of another b : the art or
              practice of disputation or controversy -- usually used
              in plural but sing. or plural in constr.
              2 : an aggressive controversialist "

              , such as the notion that
              > just-in-time small scale (high
              > value) distribution of products around the globe is
              > risky. It is the
              > future. The path is an easy path, except for those
              > whose concepts hold us
              > back. (My opinion)

              I think you mean by this that its easy to see a
              problem why soemthing will not work and then not
              develop it and make it it happen. its harder to see an
              opportunity and be bravely going ahead and making it
              happen. To take a calculated risk - or leave it to see
              if chance favors you.

              this relates to my question as to why do people live
              in fear? And how can we move beyond it so they feel
              willing to take a reasonable risk fo something so much
              better.

              > The future can only be feared but not stopped from
              > being real. The fear
              > often creates confusion and confusion creates the
              > damage.

              this is the nothing to fear exceopt fear itself. Fear
              ia a Chimaera (a monster that does not exist when
              looked at closely). I would disagree the fear creates
              confusion - rather I would say it creates a blocking
              path so culture and society move off along a less
              advantageous path. A good example is use for gasoline
              as a car fuel source instead of solar. It now means
              tht in peoepl#s minds cars have to have fuel source
              tha tiso regualrly fille dup - instead of a passive
              solar powered source or something similar. just think
              about hte time people spend filling up! And the
              transport impact of moving fuel around and the lack of
              independence this gives and thus the effects on
              transport and society.

              So a possible future was stopped from happening. Or
              maybe at best it was delayed???

              > What gives way is the type of capitalism in the
              > extreme practiced now

              I don't htink the extreme of communism or capitalism
              are practised. BUT I do think the form coudl be better
              mitigated and CSR aspects and a human face brought in.
              the mass unemployments (i am one of these) do seem to
              have resulted form it. Contrast this with an agrarian
              society of say the middle ages or soem nations and
              ehter was much higher employment.

              , like
              > the fall of communism, this type of pure capitalism
              > must surely fall, and be
              > displaced by something that treats non-locality with
              > respect.

              I disagree I think that we can have degree of
              locality.

              NON-LOCALITY here

              http://www.templeton.org/humbleapproach/nonlocality/default.asp

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlocality

              refers to the principle that everything is connected

              best extrapolated to current popular culture with the
              Butterfly Effect

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

              HOWEVER I think that Localization is possible. And
              actually think we should work to achieve elemnts of
              that.

              But of course that will depend on your religious
              views.

              In many ways
              > we are not far from a historical correction of
              > capitalism.

              Heard that one before :-)

              So the parallel
              > to the fall of communism is weak.

              Communism was flash in the pan and its still existing
              in some places which you will see in Cuba, North Korea
              where there is real isolation. HOWEVER on a much more
              local scale are there any communities that contain men
              women and children that exhibit it in a free
              situation? Possibly soem tribes might do this?

              Many authors have

              http://www.bcngroup.org/beadgames/beadsAsOfMay3_2004.htm

              > if one take the time to move through these "beads"

              which you will need coz they are not indexed like GV
              is.

              > you can see the
              > opposition to such concepts as being memetic in
              > nature, ie not willing to
              > allow certain assumptions to be questioned. We need
              > clarity.

              I agree we should question. we shoudl find out
              alternatives and questioning achieves that. lets
              quest.

              > However, the time is really changed in 2006, and
              > many of us are seeing local
              > efforts like the one that Joy is doing in Oregon
              > State.

              Well I think we arenot only seeing but we are being
              and aware of many more things going on across the
              world that we can put in placwe in our local
              situation. TO me this allows tailoring to localization
              and actaully more diversity and difference and not us
              all being the same with our global villages. for
              exampel eth open source movement that allows different
              languages to be used, different mechanical set ups.

              Here we are I think now begining to recognize the
              patterns languages that work and then apply them
              locally. But it does no tmean we are all going to end
              up with the same Global village structures that are
              identical clones of each other.

              Ciao!
              markus

              / \
              x x

              Marcus Petz

              Feed the raven and the white tailed eagles
              For the dawn is almost upon us
              I see it shining and will not sheath the sword
              May we die with it in our grasp...

              http://www.hi5.com/friend/displayProfile.do?userid=30298738