FW: Courage to Create - I am going back to the root TODAY

  • Joy Tang
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18 11:20 AM
      Sorry to miss this group in my sharing. I have you in mind when writing.
      Apology. Joy

      "Tuesday, July 18, 2006
      Have the courage
      Have the courage to appear foolish, for the real fools are those who never
      attempt anything. Have the courage to make mistakes, for they can teach you
      like nothing else can.
      Have the courage to take action. For even though your actions carry the
      possibility of failure, if you never act then you are certain to fail.

      Have the courage to live each day fully, with enthusiasm and a generous
      spirit. Though there are many problems in this world, there are a whole lot
      more positive possibilities.

      Have the courage to do what is right instead of what is easiest or most
      convenient. It will earn you the respect of others and, even more
      importantly, the respect of yourself.

      Have the courage to see and accept things for what they are. That will put
      you in position to make a real difference.

      Have the courage to love, to speak your mind, to follow your curiosity and
      your passions. Have the courage to give of yourself, for the goodness you
      give will come back to you over and over again.

      -- Ralph Marston"

      Joy Tang
      www.onevillagefoundation.org
      skype: joytang | +1.408.435.0775

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18 2:40 PM
        Joy,

        it is nice to see that there are processes of renewal and transformation.
        The project I am on now involves the design of a KOS (knowledge (structure)
        operating system).

        It would be good to tie into some of your projects, where there is a whole
        spectrium of processes, agricultural, social, wireless interactions,
        financial, spiritual. It is nice that the project is in the States, I am in
        Toas NM.

        And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed villages (in
        different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
        movement of information is instant (even though now controled by confusion)
        and the movement of commodity can be made using just in time ordering and
        process models.

        This work requires some dedication and thought and proper backgrounds.

        I can bring a few individuals into a design process, starting over the next
        weeks.

[...]

        … ?
[...]

        Each letter sent to globalvillages@yahoogroups.com enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
        whenever it does not state otherwise. http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Franz Nahrada
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 18 11:53 PM
          Paul Prueitt writes:

          >And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed villages (in
          >different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
          >movement of information is instant (even though now controled by
          >confusion)
          >and the movement of commodity can be made using just in time ordering and
          >process models.

          I just had an interesting and enlightening dream. In the dream, women from
          a rural village were "fabricating" a plastic container for washing clothes
          from a non-toxic (phytoplastic) raw material. They designed the form on a
          computer with the help of a free CAD program, and they sent the design to
          a factory that made the physical forms for them. So they could without
          much effort repeatedly "bake" the objects they wished, and have them
          shaped according to their old needs and traditions.

          What I saw in that dream: the fact that villages are connected and able to
          define their needs simultaneously enables industries for the first time to
          react to them as mass needs. The communication aspect is directly tied
          into an aspect of economic transformation, where we will have more and
          more sophisticated decentralized means of production (semi customized by
          industries) locally and thus even decommodification (of the end objects).
          This comes with the interplay of urban industries and villages. This
          relation simply could not exist before.

          So Global Villages, just by their simple fact of connectedness, will be a
          vast economic force. They might be able absorb lots of the urban
          overpopulation again and might be able create a healthy urban and rural
          circumstance.

          I see this also as an answer to Stanko and as a reason why I think Global
          Villages is a vision of its own right that includes aspects of
          ecovillages, but also makes positive use of information exchange.

          Franz
        • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19 12:53 AM
            Paul S Prueitt wrote
            > And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed
            > villages (in different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
            > movement of information is instant (even though now controled by
            > confusion)and the movement of commodity can be made using just
            > in time ordering and process models.

            Just two small comments:

            I guess "just in time" may mean many different things. If it means I'm dependant on the global supply network to work seamlessly if I want to have food on my table today, then it's dangerous, as those who have thought about a worldwide simultaneous flu pandemic (yes, I know "pan" means "whole world", but just wanted to insist a bit) think would be.

            I like the "controlled by confusion" concept. Information does have negative feedback mechanisms because it can't possibly be "instant". I'll try to keep it in mind. Thanks.

            Lucas
          • Paul S Prueitt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19 3:55 PM
              Franz

              I am coping your email to some in the bcc, so that if they choose they can join the global villages eforum and walk through these issues. slowly.  We are all respecting how much time it takes to compose progressive emails.

              Your dream is my dream.  (see below)

              The fact is that we are allowed, now and soon, to have profound global information transparency and information security at a level that is hidden by polemic structure, such as the notion that just-in-time small scale (high value) distribution of products around the globe is risky.  It is the future.  The path is an easy path, except for those whose concepts hold us back.  (My opinion)

              The future can only be feared but not stopped from being real.  The fear often creates confusion and confusion creates the damage.

              What gives way is the type of capitalism in the extreme practiced now, like the fall of communism, this type of pure capitalism must surely fall, and be displaced by something that treats non-locality with respect.  In many ways we are not far from a historical correction of capitalism.  So the parallel to the fall of communism is weak.  Many authors have writing about the stages of capitalism.

              My groups worked on these concepts in the treads at:

              the Micro-Farm ecosystem and Rural American Safe-Net   bead threads

              if one take the time to move through these "beads" you can see the opposition to such concepts as being memetic in nature, ie not willing to allow certain assumptions to be questioned.  We need clarity.

              However, the time is really changed in 2006, and many of us are seeing local efforts like the one that Joy is doing in Oregon State.

              >And again, the whole concept of a village of distributed villages (in
              >different parts of the world) is one that seems right for an age where
              >movement of information is instant (even though now controled by
              >confusion)
              >and the movement of commodity can be made using just in time ordering and
              >process models.

              I just had an interesting and enlightening dream. In the dream, women from
              a rural village were "fabricating" a plastic container for washing clothes
              from a non-toxic (phytoplastic) raw material. They designed the form on a
              computer with the help of a free CAD program, and they sent the design to
              a factory that made the physical forms for them. So they could without
              much effort repeatedly "bake" the objects they wished, and have them
              shaped according to their old needs and traditions.

              What I saw in that dream: the fact that villages are connected and able to
              define their needs simultaneously enables industries for the first time to
              react to them as mass needs. The communication aspect is directly tied
              into an aspect of economic transformation, where we will have more and
              more sophisticated decentralized means of production (semi customized by
              industries) locally and thus even decommodification (of the end objects).
              This comes with the interplay of urban industries and villages. This
              relation simply could not exist before.

              So Global Villages, just by their simple fact of connectedness, will be a
              vast economic force. They might be able absorb lots of the urban
              overpopulation again and might be able create a healthy urban and rural
              circumstance.

              I see this also as an answer to Stanko and as a reason why I think Global
              Villages is a vision of its own right that includes aspects of
              ecovillages, but also makes positive use of information exchange.

              Franz

            • Jeff Buderer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22 9:39 AM
                Paul,

                Thanks for your comments.

                Joy may not be able to respond immediately as she is currently traveling
                but we are very interested in considering how your work might relate to
                what we are trying to do in both the US and Africa.

                By the way, I spent about a month a Taos several years ago working on a
                addition to a Earth Ship http://www.earthship.org/ in the main project
                north of town on "the Mesa" involving straw bale construction techniques.

                I look forward to hearing more.

                Jeff

              • markus petz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28 6:38 AM
                  I feel some people should spend MORE TIME composing
                  progressive emails. I speak English well and Paul I
                  have found it hard to follow your email below (not coz
                  I am stupid).

                  A tip for being accessible is try writting the same
                  stuff in a second language and then just the ideas are
                  communicated and not the big words that a make it hard
                  to understand especially for someone speaking English
                  as foreign language. the bead suite does offer some
                  useful things, but is hard to navigate.

                  Anyway I am not writtingto bitch about presentation,
                  but rather to explore some of the points you raise
                  below:

                  So please read B&B
                  in openness & friendship
                  markus

                  --- Paul S Prueitt <psp@...> schrieb:

                  > Franz
                  >
                  > I am coping your email to some in the bcc, so that
                  > if they choose they can
                  > join the global villages eforum and walk through
                  > these issues. slowly. We
                  > are all respecting how much time it takes to compose
                  > progressive emails.
                  >
                  > Your dream is my dream. (see below)
                  >
                  > The fact is that we are allowed

                  I agree we are allowed in so far as we can make stuff
                  happen. I think this is a critical mass. Enough peoepl
                  and understanding of how MS is building a culture will
                  make thsi come true. buit we must also make sure we
                  communicate to others who make stop us being allowed.
                  FOr example Dante and I have been exploring through
                  living the concept of Nomadology. Now in Europe we can
                  do this because Schengen lets us go across borders,
                  and it legal to hitch-hike. wheras in the americas
                  crossing the Mexican border can prove difficult for
                  example and hitch-hiking is made illegal in some
                  states. So there it isnot allowed. There are other
                  legal aspects that have made it harder to just live in
                  alternative ways.

                  , now and soon, to
                  > have profound global
                  > information transparency

                  we are getting htias coz the internet allows info to
                  flow. the church can't surpress it as it once did,
                  although there are laws and corporations challenging
                  it.

                  and information security at
                  > a level that is hidden
                  > by polemic structure

                  Now I did not knwo what polemic structure meant so I
                  found this

                  http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0002650

                  whcih gives soem useful cultural aspects revealing it.

                  and for those not knowinhg

                  "Etymology: French polémique, from Middle French, from
                  polemique controversial, from Greek polemikos warlike,
                  hostile, from polemos war; perhaps akin to Greek
                  pelemizein to shake, Old English ealfelo baleful
                  1 a : an aggressive attack on or refutation of the
                  opinions or principles of another b : the art or
                  practice of disputation or controversy -- usually used
                  in plural but sing. or plural in constr.
                  2 : an aggressive controversialist "

                  , such as the notion that
                  > just-in-time small scale (high
                  > value) distribution of products around the globe is
                  > risky. It is the
                  > future. The path is an easy path, except for those
                  > whose concepts hold us
                  > back. (My opinion)

                  I think you mean by this that its easy to see a
                  problem why soemthing will not work and then not
                  develop it and make it it happen. its harder to see an
                  opportunity and be bravely going ahead and making it
                  happen. To take a calculated risk - or leave it to see
                  if chance favors you.

                  this relates to my question as to why do people live
                  in fear? And how can we move beyond it so they feel
                  willing to take a reasonable risk fo something so much
                  better.

                  > The future can only be feared but not stopped from
                  > being real. The fear
                  > often creates confusion and confusion creates the
                  > damage.

                  this is the nothing to fear exceopt fear itself. Fear
                  ia a Chimaera (a monster that does not exist when
                  looked at closely). I would disagree the fear creates
                  confusion - rather I would say it creates a blocking
                  path so culture and society move off along a less
                  advantageous path. A good example is use for gasoline
                  as a car fuel source instead of solar. It now means
                  tht in peoepl#s minds cars have to have fuel source
                  tha tiso regualrly fille dup - instead of a passive
                  solar powered source or something similar. just think
                  about hte time people spend filling up! And the
                  transport impact of moving fuel around and the lack of
                  independence this gives and thus the effects on
                  transport and society.

                  So a possible future was stopped from happening. Or
                  maybe at best it was delayed???

                  > What gives way is the type of capitalism in the
                  > extreme practiced now

                  I don't htink the extreme of communism or capitalism
                  are practised. BUT I do think the form coudl be better
                  mitigated and CSR aspects and a human face brought in.
                  the mass unemployments (i am one of these) do seem to
                  have resulted form it. Contrast this with an agrarian
                  society of say the middle ages or soem nations and
                  ehter was much higher employment.

                  , like
                  > the fall of communism, this type of pure capitalism
                  > must surely fall, and be
                  > displaced by something that treats non-locality with
                  > respect.

                  I disagree I think that we can have degree of
                  locality.

                  NON-LOCALITY here

                  http://www.templeton.org/humbleapproach/nonlocality/default.asp

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlocality

                  refers to the principle that everything is connected

                  best extrapolated to current popular culture with the
                  Butterfly Effect

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

                  HOWEVER I think that Localization is possible. And
                  actually think we should work to achieve elemnts of
                  that.

                  But of course that will depend on your religious
                  views.

                  In many ways
                  > we are not far from a historical correction of
                  > capitalism.

                  Heard that one before :-)

                  So the parallel
                  > to the fall of communism is weak.

                  Communism was flash in the pan and its still existing
                  in some places which you will see in Cuba, North Korea
                  where there is real isolation. HOWEVER on a much more
                  local scale are there any communities that contain men
                  women and children that exhibit it in a free
                  situation? Possibly soem tribes might do this?

                  Many authors have

                  http://www.bcngroup.org/beadgames/beadsAsOfMay3_2004.htm

                  > if one take the time to move through these "beads"

                  which you will need coz they are not indexed like GV
                  is.

                  > you can see the
                  > opposition to such concepts as being memetic in
                  > nature, ie not willing to
                  > allow certain assumptions to be questioned. We need
                  > clarity.

                  I agree we should question. we shoudl find out
                  alternatives and questioning achieves that. lets
                  quest.

                  > However, the time is really changed in 2006, and
                  > many of us are seeing local
                  > efforts like the one that Joy is doing in Oregon
                  > State.

                  Well I think we arenot only seeing but we are being
                  and aware of many more things going on across the
                  world that we can put in placwe in our local
                  situation. TO me this allows tailoring to localization
                  and actaully more diversity and difference and not us
                  all being the same with our global villages. for
                  exampel eth open source movement that allows different
                  languages to be used, different mechanical set ups.

                  Here we are I think now begining to recognize the
                  patterns languages that work and then apply them
                  locally. But it does no tmean we are all going to end
                  up with the same Global village structures that are
                  identical clones of each other.

                  Ciao!
                  markus

                  / \
                  x x

                  Marcus Petz

                  Feed the raven and the white tailed eagles
                  For the dawn is almost upon us
                  I see it shining and will not sheath the sword
                  May we die with it in our grasp...

                  http://www.hi5.com/friend/displayProfile.do?userid=30298738