    Sent: Saturday, 18 May 2013 2:14 a.m.
    Subject: [ciresearchers] FW: [globalvillages] The letter from Yakutia (Siberia, Russia) [6 Attachments]

    I'm forwarding this with Anna's permission. It was originally sent to the global villages elist (and organization) maintained by our colleague and friend Franz Nahrada who has been doing extremely interesting community informatics related work with villages in Austria and central Europe for a very long time.

    Michael Gurstein

    Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:27 AM

    Dear initiative global villagers,

    I am writing from Yakutia (Siberia, Russia). My name is Anna Nikolaeva. I guess you know Yakutia.

    I work as a teacher of English in a small school.

    Yakutia or Sakha Republic is a vast unexplored region of Siberia in the northeast of Russia.

    Yakutia is one of rare places on Earth, where spaces of wild nature – mountains, rivers, lakes, forests (taiga), northern steppes (tundra). The total area of Yakutia is located in permafrost zone. The climate is sharply continental. Winters are extremely cold (down to -50-60C. In Oymyakon region where there temperatures have reached as low as -71,2 C. In January 1926. In summer the sub doesn’t set for many days, while in winter the Polar nights reigns there long, long months. In Yakutia there are 36 districts (villages). At present concentrates of tin, gold, platinum, silver, rare metals are exported from the republic abroad. Most nativers work in agriculture in its traditional branches in particular: reindeer-breeding, commercial hunting and fishing, live-stock-farming.
    So, I study in part-time education in innovative management. At the University of Management by the President of Yakutia.

    I admire about your project Global Villages Network by Franz Nahrada. Our first President of Yakutia Michail Efimovich Nikolaev said that: “It’s development agriculture and rural communities by way spreading agricultural cooperation and promoting project “Global Villages network” and development of international cooperation in our Republic”. I live in a small rural community of Yakutia. It’s called is Olenek. It lies in the Arctic Circle. I really want to develop my village and the villages of Yakutia. So, I write a diploma work (project) (at my University) about Global Villages network. We want to introduce this project in our Republic of the Sakha (Yakutia). And we have to show is it possible to try this project in Yakutia. Yakutia's territory is about 3 million square kilometers and the population only 1 million people. There are many small villages in Yakutia. This year devoted to development of village by decree of our President. They are needed to develop. Now I am searching about the examples, experience about the development villages by experience of Global Villages network.  Could you write about your experience, work, thoughts, wishes about Global villages network. What do you think that is it possible to do some projects in such cold weather like Yakutia? I think it’s possible. Plainly we need the enthusiastic people to develop these projects. And we want to cooperate with you and your team. Thank you for your answers.

    I hope to cooperate with you and your project.

                                             Good Luck!

                                                                          Anna from Yakutia (Siberia, Russia)

    .

    http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=13057417/grpspId=1705063985/msgId=4505/stime=1368636814