Re: Old Lawsuit

  • Hakan Haktanir
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2003
      --- In globaldeeelitefans@yahoogroups.com, "staceyqfan"
      <eddieq36@h...> wrote:
      > hate it when someone sues an artist for sampling one of their songs
      > or doing a cover of of their songs. Its like, you don't own that
      > song, just cuz you came out with it prior.

      Well, actually you do own the song if you write it. I think it makes
      perfect sense that if I write a song, someone wanting to make money
      off the same tune should pay its due or get permission. I'm sure Deee-
      Lite members would feel a bit cheated if a band made a remix of their
      songs without their permission and released an album.

      The same argument applies to the Lady Kier - Ulala case. It would be
      like saying Lady Kier doesn't own her image just because she came up
      with it first. The result is obvious: everyone would make easy money
      using other people's music, lyrics, and images...and the whole music
      industry would become more crazy than it already is.

      Another case that comes to my mind is the fact that the Ghostbusters
      theme stole its music from Huey Lewis and the News, after they
      declined an offer to make the music for the film. I mean, can you
      just take someone's song and use it as you please with the logic
      that "you don't own that song, just cuz you came out with it prior"?

      Hakan
    • divdev
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2003
        I strongly disagree with you! An artist has every
        right to sue if someone is sampling their song or
        remaking their song. There is something called
        artistic integrity and people who have to sample other
        peoples songs and remake other songs have none. Why
        can't they write their own damn music. I hate when
        these losers have to sample 9 #1's in each song they
        do because they don't have the talent to actually
        write something themselves. Creativity is dead in this
        country and I'm really angry about it. Old TV shows
        becoming movies, all the sampling going on, remakes
        it's PATHETIC and uninspiring. Their is a new
        generation of people who think being a real musician
        is about sampling and remakes and that scares the hell
        out of me! It's like everybody ran out of ideas and
        the world is coming to an end or something and I
        totally despise people who are OK with this. Yeah
        Deee-lite has used samples but they are so obscure,
        you would never know where they got the sample from.
        Plenty of there songs are original though. My favorite
        thing about Deee-lite was that they were ORIGINAL and
        were bringing something new to the table and THAT'S
        inspiring.

        and is--- Hakan Haktanir <haktanir1999@...>
        wrote:
        > --- In globaldeeelitefans@yahoogroups.com,
        > "staceyqfan"
        > <eddieq36@h...> wrote:
        > > hate it when someone sues an artist for sampling
        > one of their songs
        > > or doing a cover of of their songs. Its like, you
        > don't own that
        > > song, just cuz you came out with it prior.
        >
        > Well, actually you do own the song if you write it.
        > I think it makes
        > perfect sense that if I write a song, someone
        > wanting to make money
        > off the same tune should pay its due or get
        > permission. I'm sure Deee-
        > Lite members would feel a bit cheated if a band made
        > a remix of their
        > songs without their permission and released an
        > album.
        >
        > The same argument applies to the Lady Kier - Ulala
        > case. It would be
        > like saying Lady Kier doesn't own her image just
        > because she came up
        > with it first. The result is obvious: everyone would
        > make easy money
        > using other people's music, lyrics, and images...and
        > the whole music
        > industry would become more crazy than it already is.
        >
        > Another case that comes to my mind is the fact that
        > the Ghostbusters
        > theme stole its music from Huey Lewis and the News,
        > after they
        > declined an offer to make the music for the film. I
        > mean, can you
        > just take someone's song and use it as you please
        > with the logic
        > that "you don't own that song, just cuz you came out
        > with it prior"?
        >
        > Hakan

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • staceyqfan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2003
          --- In globaldeeelitefans@yahoogroups.com, "Hakan Haktanir"
          <haktanir1999@y...> wrote:
          > While searching for old Deee-Lite articles, I ran into:
          > www.tnmd.uscourts.gov/bridgeport1i.pdf
          >
          > It's basically a page with official writings from copyright cases.
          As
          > far as I understand, Deee-Lite was sued by someone for using "Say
          > Ahhh" in their Dewdrops album.
          >
          > Does anyone know the details of this case and what the result was?
        • staceyqfan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2003
            <haktanir1999@y...> wrote:
            > While searching for old Deee-Lite articles, I ran into:
            > www.tnmd.uscourts.gov/bridgeport1i.pdf
            >
            > It's basically a page with official writings from copyright cases.
            As
            > far as I understand, Deee-Lite was sued by someone for using "Say
            > Ahhh" in their Dewdrops album.
            >
            > Does anyone know the details of this case and what the result was?I
            was being sacastic when I said that. My feelings will never change on
            that subject. I know that the government or music industry will never
            see my side. I feel different though when people or actors do
            parodies of something or parodies in their songs.
          • Hakan Haktanir
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2003
              <eddieq36@h...> wrote:
              > was being sacastic when I said that. My feelings will never change
              on
              > that subject. I know that the government or music industry will
              never
              > see my side.

              You mentioned a song you wrote. So, by your logic you wouldn't mind
              if I get a hold of your song and release it in Turkey with Turkish
              lyrics or if I make an ice-cream commercial jingle out of it to make
              good money?

              No, if you really would not sue me, I'd love to do that and make some
              cash from your song. And I'd have it in writing what you say so that
              you wouldn't be able to sue me later.

              :)

              Hakan
            • staceyqfan
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 28, 2003
                <haktanir1999@y...> wrote:
                > --- In globaldeeelitefans@yahoogroups.com, "staceyqfan"
                > <eddieq36@h...> wrote:
                > > was being sacastic when I said that. My feelings will never
                change
                > on
                > > that subject. I know that the government or music industry will
                > never
                > > see my side.
                >
                > You mentioned a song you wrote. So, by your logic you wouldn't mind
                > if I get a hold of your song and release it in Turkey with Turkish
                > lyrics or if I make an ice-cream commercial jingle out of it to
                make
                > good money?
                >
                > No, if you really would not sue me, I'd love to do that and make
                some
                > cash from your song. And I'd have it in writing what you say so
                that
                > you wouldn't be able to sue me later.
                >
                > :)It wouldn't bother me a bit. You can get the lyrics from, Kier.
                Its just lyrics, no music was made to go along with it. As long as,
                you credit that I wrote it as E. Roark and not try to say you wrote
                it. I'm not trying to get royalties from it. Good Luck!!!

                > Hakan
              • Hakan Haktanir
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 29, 2003
                  <eddieq36@h...> wrote:
                  >It wouldn't bother me a bit. You can get the lyrics from, Kier.
                  > Its just lyrics, no music was made to go along with it. As long as,
                  > you credit that I wrote it as E. Roark and not try to say you wrote
                  > it. I'm not trying to get royalties from it. Good Luck!!!
                  > >
                  > > Hakan

                  No music? So when you said:

                  "In my new documentary
                  film, "The Last Record Store" I sing a song called, "Imitation Of
                  Another Life" which I wrote from my heart and about my father. It was
                  a song that was gonna be realeased as a single off my debut solo
                  album, "Lighting Fury." "

                  So you sing a song without music? So it was basically a poem you
                  wanted to release?

                  "My friend Bill, hurt me deeply when he kept
                  sayin' I didn't write it, that I stole in from Neil Young cuz it
                  sounds exactly the same. I never heard Neil's music. "

                  And here you meant that you never read Neil's lyrics, I guess.

                  Sorry for the confusion!
                • staceyqfan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
                    <haktanir1999@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In globaldeeelitefans@yahoogroups.com, "staceyqfan"
                    > <eddieq36@h...> wrote:
                    > >It wouldn't bother me a bit. You can get the lyrics from, Kier.
                    > > Its just lyrics, no music was made to go along with it. As long
                    as,
                    > > you credit that I wrote it as E. Roark and not try to say you
                    wrote
                    > > it. I'm not trying to get royalties from it. Good Luck!!!
                    > > >
                    > > > Hakan
                    >
                    > No music? So when you said:
                    >
                    > "In my new documentary
                    > film, "The Last Record Store" I sing a song called, "Imitation Of
                    > Another Life" which I wrote from my heart and about my father. It
                    was
                    > a song that was gonna be realeased as a single off my debut solo
                    > album, "Lighting Fury." "
                    >
                    > So you sing a song without music? So it was basically a poem you
                    > wanted to release?
                    >
                    > "My friend Bill, hurt me deeply when he kept
                    > sayin' I didn't write it, that I stole in from Neil Young cuz it
                    > sounds exactly the same. I never heard Neil's music. "
                    >
                    > And here you meant that you never read Neil's lyrics, I guess.
                    >
                    > Sorry for the confusion!

                    I never did nunthin with that song, or any of the other songs
                    off the album. I don't think it will even be completed, cuz I retired
                    from the acting/singing and porn business in January this year. All
                    the songs that I did are just poems/lyrics written on paper! That
                    songs for Jeff Liles documentary is without music. I asked him, if I
                    could record one or two songs on a demo for the soundtrack, and he
                    said no, cuz he's only gonna used international artist like Jeff
                    Beckley and Ben Harper. It would be cool if I would had did a cover
                    of Stacey Q's Incognito song, or Deee-lite Bittersweet Lovin' or Deep
                    Ending song or put music to my Imitation Of Another Life song or
                    another song I didn't finish called What They Following Me For. My
                    producer Jon St. James, you've probably heard of him, he's like a new
                    wave producer extradonaire, said he's retired now and said I'm gonna
                    have to find someone else to harrass, when I ask him is he ever gonna
                    produce it. My old High School band has music out there under A Deux
                    Voix which is rare if you can find it. Have you ever heard Love and
                    Bubbles or the old Shazork music from Deee-lite?

                    -Ed Roark