Re: For Al and Mike, RE: Any idea on how to import ESRI shape file into ArcMap

  • ayalewlegesse
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2008
      Jerry,

      I used to import my GM Geological map into MapInfo to do finishing
      work. I recently acquired ArcGIS. So I am trying to import into it.
      I created the Map in GM. Because of some facilities availability
      (like patterns and symbols), I want to export it to ArcGIS. For that
      I used export into "shape file" and then try to take it to ArcMap.

      AL

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Medford" <jmedford@...>
      wrote:

      > Al,
      >

      > Are you trying to go from .MIF to .SHP via GM? If so, does your
      MapInfo

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2008
        Al,

        Try opening one of your new shape files in GM to see if it comes in
        properly. If GM can see the shape file then so should ArcMap though you may
        need to set the projection in ArcCatalog. If you are not able to see the
        shape file in GM then I think you will need to explain what and how you are
        building your data sets in GM.

        Thanks,

        Jerry

        _____

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > by the SHP file and conforms to common industry standards for
        what
        > goes in a
        > > PRJ file (the GDAL library is used for generating these PRJ
        > files), it is
        > > just that ESRI will only accept PRJ files specified exactly how
        > they expect
        > > them and are not flexible at all. This is a problem for Global
        > Mapper as the
        > > inflexibility of ESRI products makes it impossible in some cases
        > to generate
        > > PRJ files that will read in a wide variety of software packages.
        > >

        > > In any case, if ArcMap cannot determine the projection of a SHP
        > file
        > > shouldn't it ask the user what it is rather than just doing
        > something
        > > completely unhelpful and require the user to manually determine

      • ayalewlegesse
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2008
          Jerry,

          I can open my shape file in GM without any problem. But when I try
          to see it in ArcMap, the file is not visible. I opended ArcCatalog,
          clicked file and then clicked folder, I cannot still see it. I also
          set up the projection, but did not still see it.

          After converting GM file into shape file, what are the steps you do
          until you get to see the map on ArcMap window? I would apprecciate
          if you get the time to list the procedures.

          wrote:

          > Al,
          >

          > Try opening one of your new shape files in GM to see if it comes in
          > properly. If GM can see the shape file then so should ArcMap
          though you may
          > need to set the projection in ArcCatalog. If you are not able to
          see the
          > shape file in GM then I think you will need to explain what and
          how you are
          > building your data sets in GM.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jerry
          >

          > _____

        • ayalewlegesse
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2008
            Thanks Jerry,

            I did try opening it in GM. It worked well. But as I said before, I
            could not see the file at all. I also went into ArcCatalog and set
            up the proections. Did not help me. Can you list the procedures you
            normally do after expoting it into shape file in GM? I would
            apprecciate if you get the time to list them.