Plate Carree

  • James Nicholson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
      I learn new things all the time from GM. I noticed that "geographic"
      projection now shows up as "plate carree" by default. After
      saying "huh?" I did some searching. Ah, "geographic" is really not a
      projection, per se, but a reference system. "Plate Carree" is really
      the more correct term to use. Or EPSG finally updated something.
      Did I learn correctly, sensei?

      Jim Nicholson
      New Mexico
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
        Jim,

        Where are you seeing the Geographic projection show up as Plate Carree? The Plate Carree projection is just an alias for the Geographic projection in Global Mapper, but I would only expect it to show up if you explicitly select it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
          Yes, I'm loading some shapes that are exported as "geographic" but when I load then back in, it shows up as Plate Carree. I know they are the same thing, but this is the first I've noticed it.

          support@globalmappe r.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
            I can confirm that (GM 9.02, Build date Mar 10 2008). When I export
            the Geographic "projection" to a prj-file (Projection->Save to file)
            and later load this file, "Plate carree" will show up as projection
            instead.

            Christian

            --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, James Nicholson <sleestacky@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
              Christian/Jim,

              I was just able to confirm this as well. It was a small oops when loading PRJ files with a Geographic "projection" that was easy to fix. I have placed a new build of Global Mapper 9 with the fix at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip . Simply download that file and extract the contents over your existing v9.xx installation to give it a try.

              wrote:

              > Yes, I'm loading some shapes that are exported as "geographic" but
              when I load then back in, it shows up as Plate Carree. I know they
              are the same thing, but this is the first I've noticed it.

            • vrbeasley
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2008
                Same,
                GEO still appears in the status bar.
                Virgil

                --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "chrzietz" <czietz@...> wrote:

                > I can confirm that (GM 9.02, Build date Mar 10 2008). When I export
                > the Geographic "projection" to a prj-file (Projection->Save to file)
                > and later load this file, "Plate carree" will show up as projection
                > instead.
                >
                > Christian
                >
                > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, James Nicholson <sleestacky@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes, I'm loading some shapes that are exported as "geographic" but
                > when I load then back in, it shows up as Plate Carree. I know they
                > are the same thing, but this is the first I've noticed it.

              • vrbeasley
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2008
                  Fixed now of course. Dang, you're swift Mike.