Re: Bragging About Global Mapper

  • peterminton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
      Al,

      I make fairly simple maps of islands. Global Mapper lets me load
      Landsat ETM+ orthorectified mosaics quickly and easily. In addition,
      I ocassionally work with DigitalGlobe 1-meter imagery (1GB and
      larger). These images load quickly as well. I georectify ISS images
      using Landsat as the base to which I connect the ISS image to. Once I
      have selected a target island to map, I zoom into the island's
      shoreline and begin digitizing using GM's "Draw a Line" digitizing
      feature. I hand-digitize shorelines sometimes creating 1,000s of
      vectors that trace the island's shoreline. Depending on the clarity
      of the image and my ambition, I digitize additional layers of
      information, all of them definded by the polyline feature. Once I
      have digitized all of the information I wish to capture, I transfer my
      vectors into Marplot and build my preliminary or final map. Once my
      Marplot map is finished I post a picture of my completed island
      mapping project to my web site.

      I would love to have additional features within GM. If Mike can
      incorporate them into GM, he will do it. You have mapping
      requirements that cannot be satisfied by the current version of GM.
      Let Mike know what you need and how much you need it. If he can make
      it happen he will, or he will be straight with you and tell you he
      will not make the changes for whatever reason (He is good about giving
      the reason for the "can't or won't does").

      GM works for me. I am certain it will continue improving.

      Peter Minton
      EVS Islands
      San Diego CA
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2008
        I have made a point type for labeling by using a point symbol which
        contains no symbol. You can put the point whereever you want it. I
        export them to an shp file. You could also make a layer with different
        angles on the label by doing this too. Yes it is a bit cumbersome, it
        is a servicable way to get where you want to go on the issue.

        If you are doing a lot of that type of thing and making money with your
        GIS setup, maybe you need a more expensive system.

        Dave
      • ayalewlegesse
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2008
          Dave;

          Can you rotate a symbols/objects using angle? can you offset an object
          (line, symbol etc) using distance? I do not think you can. It is only
          possible by clicking and physically rotating/moving (dragging). You
          can do this for few things but you cannot do this practically if you
          have 1000 objects. It will be too cumbersome.

          AL

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <bigmud@...> wrote:

          > I have made a point type for labeling by using a point symbol which
          > contains no symbol. You can put the point whereever you want it. I
          > export them to an shp file. You could also make a layer with
          different
          > angles on the label by doing this too. Yes it is a bit cumbersome,
          it
          > is a servicable way to get where you want to go on the issue.
          >
          > If you are doing a lot of that type of thing and making money with
          your
          > GIS setup, maybe you need a more expensive system.
          >
          > Dave

        • ray davis
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2008
            You can set the Symbol type through the font for any angle you want. You would have to have a different symbol type for each angle. no you cannot set them for a particular distance. Yes it is cumbersome for 1000 or more symbols. I am not a company man. Just a fellow user trying to help out. Yes I would like more sophisticated labeling too.

            http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008

          • ayalewlegesse
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2008
              I could not see how you can rotate symbols in 'fonts' tab. I tried it.
              There is no facility in GM for that. All I see is for rotating the
              label to to symbols. You can rotate labels using angle. But that is
              not what I asked here. I am interested in rotating symbols using
              angles the same way we do it to labels.

              AL

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2008
                AL,

                There is not currently a facility for rotating symbols. This will have to be
                added in a future release.

                --- In global_mapper@ <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2008
                  Sorry - I was only thinking of the label.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008